DVDInfoPro

Shamus_McFartfinger

Y'know, I've loaded this proggy up a hundred times and it didn't click until today where I'd heard the name Nic Wilson before. If it's the same Nic Wilson I'm thinking of, he was big on the Amiga platform many, many moons ago. A quick search on Google founds hits with an Amiga program called SysInfo which was basically a benchmarking program for testing system speed, ram and all that sort of crap. (SysInfo was probably one of the first programs I ran after purchasing my spanking new Amiga 4000 in about 1992).

As an ex-Amiga addict, I often wonder what happened to the people of that era such as Jonathon Potter (of Directory Opus fame), Nico Francois (Powerpacker, Spot and a multitude of other great tools), Anthony Barrett (Max's BBS) and too many others to mention.

If it's the same Nic Wilson, I'm pleased to see that he's still around.

<wistful sigh mode off>

I thought Jon Potter had dumped DOpus altogether? I've tried the Windows version of DOpus a few times in the past and I just don't like it. On the Amiga it was slick, highly configurable and fast. On a Winbox it's even more configurable but it tries to do too much by associating itself with damned near everything, including replacing Explorer, making it bloated and ungainly.

Jon's definitely still working on it. When I first tried version 6 I wasn't all that impressed, but version 8 is a big improvement IMO. You can configure how it replaces Explorer through Prefs->Miscellaneous->Explorer Replacement.

There is also a very useful Viewer plugin called SCV which allows you to edit files in the viewer pane. It also has a very helpful user forum at resource.dopus.com.

It's not for everyone, and some people prefer Total Commander, but I have to say it's my favourite file manager. Once you have it set up the way you like, it makes a lot of jobs very easy.

Yeah but... (sighs and groans alot) it's just not DOpus how I remember it to be, I suppose. Sure, it can do ftp, play files, execute commands etc etc but it still doesn't impress me the way the old version (v4 on the Amiga) did.

I still use Turbo Navigator for file management 5 years after the the developer pulled the plug. Fast, sleek and configurable - just like DOpus used to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.