Burning Small DVD ISO to Dual Layer - Question

Hurbida

Hi, I have been wondering for a while now, why Imgburn asks you whether you would like to burn a small DVD iso to the first layer instead of both layers. It presents you with this long bit of text you must read and is just oh so helpful at explaining things.

Is there any benefit to burning a DVD image meant for a single layer DVD to the first layer of a Dual Layer DVD? Does this increase write or read speeds? Does this do anything at all that would be beneficial?

If not, why am I given the choice?

Thanks,

ImgBurn is an advanced tool.

There may well be times when an advanced user will want/need to burn said ISO onto just the first layer - be it for testing purposes or because it's a requirement for something he/she is working with.

Don't expect everything to apply to you.

ImgBurn is an advanced tool.

There may well be times when an advanced user will want/need to burn said ISO onto just the first layer - be it for testing purposes or because it's a requirement for something he/she is working with.

Don't expect everything to apply to you.

Okay, well if it's advanced, I suggest you remove the prompt altogether and make this an option that you can choose before you attempt to burn the DVD.

The way I see it is, the prompt is meant for an advanced user, who may already know what it's for and why he/she needs it. The way it is presented is slightly educational. As it stands, an uninformed person cannot fully deduce why he/she would "sway from the norm" based on the information provided.

By default, IMGBurn should simply perform the norm and burn the ISO to both layers. If an advanced user needs it to be on a single layer, he/she can go looking for the advanced option in the scary preferences or the ISO selection window. For more information, he/she could simply hover the cursor on top of that option and a mouse tooltip will further explain it.

Easy.

P.S. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Edited by Hurbida

That's an idea, yes. But how about just using a more appropriately sized media for what you're burning?

Then this whole 'issue' is null and void.

How about you design a good program without your added useless philosophies?

It's good enough for me.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's a great program. It's just shy of incredible, and I think you know why. It's because you're unwilling set aside your personal opinions to change or implement things that would make the program even better. And I'm not just talking about this petty instance.

It's because you're unwilling set aside your personal opinions to change or implement things that would make the program even better. And I'm not just talking about this petty instance.

It's his program, and he decided to share it with the world. What he does with it and doesn't do with it is his choice, not yours, mine or anyone else's. Attacking because you don't like something you had nothing to do with is ignorant at best,moronic at least, and just plain out of place here. Use Nero, Roxio or something else.

It's not just about my personal opinion on this one.

You're doing something out of the ordinary and so hit a prompt that the vast majority of people would never see. Google it and you'll see how infrequently it comes up!

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of guides floating around on the internet and they're written based on what ImgBurn does and doesn't do. When I change how things work, it messes up the guides and that brings about more confusion.

I do agree with you, it's a prompt that could be replaced by a checkbox somewhere in the settings and so that's what I've just done.

I've mitigated the damage it'll do to existing guides (I've a certain type in mind) by adding a special known exception for when it absolutely MUST be used (where the user would need to have clicked 'Yes' on the prompt).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.