Windows 8: My First Impressions

dbminter

Downloaded and installed the free Windows 8 Developer Preview to get some first impressions of what the upcoming OS might be look. From what I've seen, be afraid. Be VERY afraid! :unsure:

It seems like Microsoft purposefully designed Windows 8 so that once basic tasks take more clicks or are totally eliminated from the OS. For instance, to access the log on screen, you HAVE to click off on a screen saver page. I could only access the Desktop by first selecting Control Panel from the obviously designed to be a smartphone start page. Then, I had to select More options from Control Panel in order to get the Desktop to appear.

Once I got to the Desktop, imagine my surprise when the Start Menu is totally gone! :o How are we expected to get applications to work?

Now, granted, this is a preliminary release of the OS and some things may be fixed. For instance, I hope for Windows to support/ZoneAlarm to support Windows 8, which neither currently do. But, I don't like what I've seen, which just backs up some things I had read. Like the likelihood that the Start button would be removed from the interface.

You know, I didn't test to see if the Windows key on the keyboard opens the Start menu. I'm not about to reinstall it just to test that! :lol:

Actually, believe it or not, Windows 7 is actually a version of Windows I'd recommend. :o It's the first time I've ever actively endorsed a flavor of Windows. In a stunning turn of events, Microsoft combined the good parts of Vista, which were few ;) and mostly cosmetic in nature, and fixed the parts that were wrongly implemented or just plain wrong :lol: for Windows 7. Of course, there IS that Blu-Ray size issue in Windows 7, but... :thumbup:

The funny thing is, when I tested the Developers' Build the first time, there WAS a button on the start menu for the Desktop. My other 2 installs of it did NOT have said button. So, go figure. Typical Microsoft behavior. ;)

I don't know what build mine was beyond what they called it: Windows 8 Developers' Preview. As I said, it worked once and then it didn't work; typical Microsoft software behavior. :thumbup:

I have to install it over my primary partition and then restore the daily backup in order to try it out. I've done it like 3 times thus far, and that's enough as far as I'm concerned! :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.