Restore Points

Movie Junkie

Is there a way to either selectively delete or selectively save to another media, restore points? I searched a bit on the 'net but from what I was able to find it looks like the answer to both questions is no.

You mean System Restore points? If so, this is Windows! Forget about it! :lol: You MIGHT have luck by copying over the System Volume Information folder for a drive to somewhere else as a backup and copying it back over. But, I would highly doubt it would work. You'd have to do it outside Windows or disable the monitoring on that drive, do the copy, and re-enable it, which would probably just overwrite what you just copied. Thus, defeating the purpose. But, that's Big Bill for you. :)

Is there a way to either selectively delete or selectively save to another media, restore points? I searched a bit on the 'net but from what I was able to find it looks like the answer to both questions is no.

You mean System Restore points? If so, this is Windows! Forget about it! :lol: You MIGHT have luck by copying over the System Volume Information folder for a drive to somewhere else as a backup and copying it back over. But, I would highly doubt it would work. You'd have to do it outside Windows or disable the monitoring on that drive, do the copy, and re-enable it, which would probably just overwrite what you just copied. Thus, defeating the purpose. But, that's Big Bill for you. :)

It does seem like a hopeless task db. I'll keep searching but I think it'll be for naught.

Minty's almost certainly right (he usually is in these matters): I can't imagine a way to back up Restore Points.

However, I do selectively erase them all the time. On my C: the "System Volume" folder often grows to gigantic proportions so I have to, ah, weed it. I haven't had any problem with dropping specific folders into East-Tec Eraser and consigning them to oblivion beyond the power of Big Brother to retrieve.

While I haven't found in ill effects from not erasing the points set on other partitions or drives, I erase them as well just to be thorough.

The numbered folders always match up with a time/date stamp in the SysRestore UI. I use that to make sure I don't delete the most recent "points." Or, if you wanna wipe the slate clean, as I've done in the past, I just drop all the points into Eraser let it slag them into digital goo.

(Though recently I did have XP flail on me. I was trying to "securely" erase a file on one of my jump drives and, for some reason, XP decided that it had fallen below the "200MB"cutoff--not hard considering it only holds 256MB!--and dumped all my points; forcing me to wipe all the blank space on the C: drive.)

Other than the occasional hairball like that, I've had good luck with XP's System Restore (the ME version...entirely different story!). It's saved my butt more than a few times when I've done some stupid (esp when doing certain things now verboten for discussion ici....

However, I do selectively erase them all the time. On my C: the "System Volume" folder often grows to gigantic proportions so I have to, ah, weed it. I haven't had any problem with dropping specific folders into East-Tec Eraser and consigning them to oblivion beyond the power of Big Brother to retrieve.
Please tell me what the name of the folder is that hold the restore points.

The numbered folders always match up with a time/date stamp in the SysRestore UI. I use that to make sure I don't delete the most recent "points." Or, if you wanna wipe the slate clean, as I've done in the past, I just drop all the points into Eraser let it slag them into digital goo.
Are you saying that within the restore folder are additional numbered folders that correspond to the restore points? Edited by Movie Junkie

Make sure you have Folder Options set so you can see "Hidden Folders."

Then it's: V for Vendetta. Ooops, sorry. I was julli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gifjulli-banneds.gif. Kick ass movie, btw.

C:\System Volume Information within that you'll find:

251556.png

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C5D932D1-5980-475D-AD83-9DCC4EB3AD9C} (the number of course varies with the system.

251557.png

251562.png

Are you saying that within the restore folder are additional numbered folders that correspond to the restore points?

Yepper. Open System Restore and then open C:\System Volume Information\_restore..... and you see that the time/date stamps in the SysRestore GUI match the numbered folders.

Edited by Pain_Man

As you can see from the screen caps in the above reply...16:58:38 Installed Quake 4 matches RP234.

Had to add additional reply. Got that 403 error again. julli-rasende.gif Haven't discerned any pattern, 'cept that it's only happened in your threads, MJ. Size, ahem, doesn't seem to matter. I've gotten it with two line posts and with this large one as well.

when you get the 403 error message, what happens if you hit the back button ?. does it go back with all your typed text in the box ? again, if so, what happens when you try to upload again ?

the server does knock back certain text , like things with "" in it amongst other strings of characters .like an auto censor thing .

The folders in the System Volume folder MIGHT correspond to Registry keys. So, doing a searching in the Registry might help isolate some information.

As for the file access being denied, you can experiment with Unlocker if you wish. Now, you're ENTIRELY on your own if you wish to ;) but it can release files captured by Explorer.exe, and others. Not always without a reboot, which is useless in this case. And, there's no guarantee that writing over contents even if you could would work. Because the Registry might be expecting one thing and the file contents would say another.

I TOLD you. :lol:

The only time I've seen that is when trying access the folder is question from a "limited user" account. The Administrators account will give you full access to everything.

It's been a long time since I used XP Pro so I don't remember if "Power Users" have access to system folders.

That's just what I thought. That's the folder I can't access. Even in the Admin account I get the following error:

systemvolumeinfopg3.png

Lightning says it has something to do with certain combination of letters or symbols that are unacceptable to the Invision program.

This is what the page returned says:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at forum.imgburn.com Port 80

Christ. It did it again! Looking at this message I can't see anything any different from thousands of other messages I've posted on various sites that use this program.

I still don't know exactly which letters or symbols trigger the error msg. When I deleted the last paragraph--which contained only ASCII type letters, the post was accepted.

Basically, it seems luck of the draw. Or maybe I'm just lucky an the only person that's ever got this message.

when you get the 403 error message, what happens if you hit the back button ?. does it go back with all your typed text in the box ? again, if so, what happens when you try to upload again ?

the server does knock back certain text , like things with "" in it amongst other strings of characters .like an auto censor thing .

Edited by Pain_Man

................................................................................

.............................................................................,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:blink:

;)

................................................................................

.............................................................................,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:blink:

;)

:D:P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.