Connect to remote host?

Utopiate

My firewall reports that ImgBurn tries to connect to a remote host (www.microsoft.com) when it is launched. Is it supposed to do that?

The one time I allowed it to connect it wanted next to connect to www.google.com. This just doesn't seem like a good idea for my part. The program works great without connecting to the remote host.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

U.

Just to add to Lightning_UK's post (sorry, Boss), it polls to check for a newer version. It can't check for a new version without first checking if a connection is available. As the Big Fella pointed out above, ImgBurn does that by checking 1 of 3 of the largest (and most reliable) sites there is and if it finds a connect, it then polls the ImgBurn server and checks for a newer version. 'Tis all. :)

Just to add to Lightning_UK's post (sorry, Boss), it polls to check for a newer version. It can't check for a new version without first checking if a connection is available. As the Big Fella pointed out above, ImgBurn does that by checking 1 of 3 of the largest (and most reliable) sites there is and if it finds a connect, it then polls the ImgBurn server and checks for a newer version. 'Tis all. :)

I'm much relieved to learn that it's normal behavior and I'll allow it to check the connections in the future. Really appreciate your help!

U.

it is a worthwhile excersise to have it auto check for a newer version , obviously new things and features are implemented within the program all the time , and its easier for everyone to "self check" for newer versions than it is to try and make sure/ contact/comunicate to everybody that there is a new version available.

to see if you are going to get auto check for new versions goto

Tools button >Settings > Events and make sure " On Startup" check for program update is checked like below . then when a new version becomes available, you will get a pop up window informing you :thumbup:

updater.png

• 8 months later...
It polls (pings) a few places to see if there is an internet connection.

Nothing to worry about.

FYI, it does microsoft, google and yahoo. The chances of them all being down at the same time is practically nil!

Why not add a word about this somewhere? I was really worried to see it today for the first time after a clean install. This is what Kerio 2.1.5 reported:

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to wwwtkttest2.microsoft.com [207.46.198.30], port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to wwwtkttest5.microsoft.com [207.46.198.60], port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to wwwtkttest3.microsoft.com [207.46.199.30], port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to wwwtkttest4.microsoft.com [207.46.225.60], port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to wwwbaytest1.microsoft.com [207.46.19.30], port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to 66.249.93.104, port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to 66.249.93.99, port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to 66.249.93.104, port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to 66.249.93.99, port 80

'ImgBurn - The Ultimate Image Burner!' from your computer wants to connect to f1.www.vip.re3.yahoo.com [209.73.186.238], port 80

Anyway, many thanks to LUK and to all testers and helpers for this excellent program. :)

It polls (pings) a few places to see if there is an internet connection.

Nothing to worry about.

FYI, it does microsoft, google and yahoo. The chances of them all being down at the same time is practically nil!

Why not add a word about this somewhere? I was really worried to see it today for the first time after a clean install. This is what Kerio 2.1.5 reported:

Honestly? I don't know. It's not something that many people ask about. (You'd probably be the third person I can remember in the last couple of years :) which shows you how many people are either "click-happy" with their security software and let anything pass through just to get rid of the requester or don't run firewalls at all. :( )

Most people probably realise that if they enable the option to make the program look for updates each time it starts, it'll obviously need internet access. (Oh and I also mention that in the message box).

Therefore, if they are prompted by their firewall, they'll be expecting it and just click 'Ok' / 'Yes' etc.

I bet 0.01% of people look at WHERE it's actually connecting to.

As for not being mentioned anywhere... it is, and you're reading it!

Maybe like you, they all ask the same question you did (to themselves), search this forum and find their answer.

That's why it not in a FAQ or anything.... it's not a question that's frequently asked!

Thanks you both for the quick replies!

I suppose it makes sense to leave it like that, since it is not a frequent question.

btw, if the first request was for an IP address, I would have let it (and all subsequent requests from ImgBurn) through, assuming it was the ImgBurn site. I usually don't check for programs that I've grown to trust. What alarmed me was the MS domain name. :P

Edited by Demetris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.