Windows xp pro install disk

chameau

After a recent hardware failure (could not determin if it was the hard drive or the motherboard? but system was crashing into a memory dump and then re-starting), I purchased a new computer and cloned the C drive onto the new drive. However because of very different hardware, I had to do a 'repair install' of windows. Thats when I discovered that I don't have the original disk? (I do have a legitimate license key). I borrow an install disk of the shop I originally boght the computer from and managed to fix my problem.

As windows xp is no longer available to purchase, I would like to make a PERFECT copy of the disk I borrowed so that in the future if I need to re-install windows, I have a copy.

My question is: can ImgBurn do a completly identical copy of a windows xp pro sp3 disk? (from reading various posts it needs to be a 'raw sector by sector' copy that will include hiden files etc..

Also what medium should it be? CD-r or CD+r?

Thanks

So its as simple as that? Just copy to hard drive, then burn to disk? And I can use the created CD to do (for example) a 'repaire-install' of windows if I screw up my system? No need to extract boot files or anything like that? Great!

Last time I re-installed windows, I had app 150 security updates to add (including IE8) any way to include some or all of those files into the copied CD?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.