Latest recommended NEC drives?

dbminter

I was wondering, since it appears I may need to replace my NEC 3500a, after 2.5 years of good service (LAMENT), what is the current, recommended model and its features? Preferably, something I can get from Newegg.com in the US.

Newegg currently lists the 3550A at $30... wow. :) Anyway, it appears to have what I want. In particular DVD-R DL, which I may never to try out, but, at least, it will be there. And even has the faster 6x and 8x DVD RW speeds. Even supports RITEK F1 at 16x for quick temporary stuff.

So, who's used the 3550a? ;) Anyone is welcome it reply, but, LUK and other beta test members would be appreciated, of course. :D I figure at $30, what have I got to lose... except $30, my time, and my mind! :lol:

Well, I can say I now finally possess an external DVD burner that does not suffer the semaphore time out error. :lol: I had planned on swapping out the DRU-700a as part of my testing with the latest DRU because it supports things I wanted and/or didn't have yet: DVD-RAM read and write, DVD-R DL, and 6x and 8x DVD+-RW. Well, I say latest, but, the stores only had the 820, and there's an 830 now supposedly with 18x instead of 16x. News to me, but, I don't care for now. ;) I decided to get the USB version to see if it was free from the semaphore time out. My plan then was to swap out the drive from the enclosure for internal use and keep the enclosure to insert drives into for testing. Well, imagine my surprise when 1.) the drive does NOT have semaphore time out problems :o and 2.) ... it appears to be hermetically sealed with no way to open it. :doh:

Well, you know, it's already starting. The fuckers have already entered the picture. :lol:

For instance, the listed firmware is 2.0c. Sony's listed latest firmware? 1.0b! :doh: Plus, it seems this drive could very well actually be a rebadged Benq using Panasonic chips in some way. Eh, who the fuck knows? :rolleyes:

You know? I kind of had to laugh at this one. The NEC 3500a will burn SONY08D1 8x DVD-R's at 16x... yet, "Sony's" DRX-820U, which has a drive internally recognized as the DRU-820A, will burn the maximum only the 8x maximum write descriptor. I can see why it wouldn't, in a way, but, the fact that Sony's advertised drive won't on Sony's own media has just the smallest bit of mirth inherent in it. :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.