Burn speed question

Travman

I was previously used Nero to burn my DVD's but I wanted to give ImgBurn a try. So far I really like it, but I have a question about the burning speed.

Is it normal for the write speed to "ramp up" during the burn? For example, I burned a full Verbatim DVD-R 16x media at 16x speed but it didn't reach 16x until about 3/4 of the way through the burn. Of course, it starts at 0 and then it slowly ramped up to 6x speed. It stayed there for a bit, then it got up to 8x. But it didn't get up to 16x until 3/4 of the way through.

When I use Nero, it seems to stay at a steady 16x speed. Why would ImgBurn start off slower? I tried it on MAX and at 16x manually and it did the same thing.

I'm using an LG GSA-H10L dual layer burner which burns DVD-R at 16x.

Blu is spot on, if you compared an identical burn from Nero with ImgBurn you should see that the time taken to burn the same data would be very similar. With Nero you think you're getting 16x from the off but you really aren't..... :)

Thanks guys, that cleared things up. I hadn't actually clocked the time between the two burns but the Nero burn *seemed* faster... but it probably wasn't.

the disc burns from the inside out and as such there is less video on the inside as you move to the outer edge more can be written and as such it can handle more speed .Burning at 16X didn't produce the best scans in tests ,keeping it to 12x produced better quality discs

Blu is spot on, if you compared an identical burn from Nero with ImgBurn you should see that the time taken to burn the same data would be very similar. With Nero you think you're getting 16x from the off but you really aren't..... :)

@Travman,

I've mention this before at http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=2055, but you want to add or change the following registry key to make nero report the real (live) burn speed. This worked for versions 5 and 6, but I don't know if it still does for v7 (but its worth trying if your running v7).

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]

"ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001

Nero_Live_CD_Burning_Speed.reg.txt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.