Question for the Aussies...

Pain_Man

I'm not voicing an opinion here, just looking to see what my cousins Down Under think of giving Steve a state funeral? (Since I'm not an Australian I don't think I have a right to an opinion.)

Here in the US, the state funeral for Reagan was the first one I remember. I can't tell you who got the last one before he did. But I believe it had been over a decade.

And the last president to get one was Kennedy.

So, did "the Crocodile Hunter" do enough for Australia to have earned the honor?

the man did an enormous amount of work to promote OZ his parents and him built what is now the Australian Zoo . Probably one of the most recognized if not the most recognized names to come out of OZ.The others I can name off the top of my head are actresses and actors

I just read that his father in particularly would prefer an "ordinary" funeral to reflect the "ordinary" man that was Steve Irwin....

I think it was always up to the family if he had a state funeral or not .It was offered by the Gov in recognition of his works promoting Australia but the wife has the last word

I'm not voicing an opinion here, just looking to see what my cousins Down Under think of giving Steve a state funeral? (Since I'm not an Australian I don't think I have a right to an opinion.)

Here in the US, the state funeral for Reagan was the first one I remember. I can't tell you who got the last one before he did. But I believe it had been over a decade.

And the last president to get one was Kennedy.

So, did "the Crocodile Hunter" do enough for Australia to have earned the honor?

In my opinion, he did, you gotta remember this was no actor (like Paul Hogan) he was the real deal.

He really put Australian tourism on the international market, not to mention his generosity with the money he made to many worth while projects and charities.

Like I mentioned before, I didn't agree with some of the things he did (mainly for his own safety) and setting an example for dickheads that would go out and try it, but I suppose when you're in front of a camera the fuckers do want you to do stupid things.

Again in my opinion, he went beyond his field of expertise, he could read the body language of a croc like a book, he was also very good with snakes, but I somehow don't think under water stuff was his bag, a valuable lesson for all, stick with what you know best, in this very unfortunate case it cost Steve his life.

In my opinion, he did, you gotta remember this was no actor (like Paul Hogan) he was the real deal.

He really put Australian tourism on the international market, not to mention his generosity with the money he made to many worth while projects and charities.

Like I mentioned before, I didn't agree with some of the things he did (mainly for his own safety) and setting an example for dickheads that would go out and try it, but I suppose when you're in front of a camera the fuckers do want you to do stupid things.

Again in my opinion, he went beyond his field of expertise, he could read the body language of a croc like a book, he was also very good with snakes, but I somehow don't think under water stuff was his bag, a valuable lesson for all, stick with what you know best, in this very unfortunate case it cost Steve his life.

I agree with everything you've said. (You saved me alot of typing Ken... ;)) Edited by Movie Junkie

I think it was always up to the family if he had a state funeral or not .It was offered by the Gov in recognition of his works promoting Australia but the wife has the last word
According to an AP story, he's going to have a "private funeral somewhere in the Outback" and, some time in the next two weeks, a public memorial. Whether that'll be a state funeral, hasn't been said.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/09/07/i...=20060907100030

He was, arguably, the world's most well-known Aussie. (Mel being US-born and Russell Crowe, what is he, Aussie or NZ?)

My daughter is still sad about his death. She doesn't want to talk about it or even see his picture. When a re-run of Crocodile Hunter and she wouldn't look at the screen.

The more I think about it, the more it sucks.

But he did die doing what he loved. A lot better than rotting away in a nursing home wired to half a dozen machines.

I have far more respect for Steve "Crikey" Irwin than Mel Gibson.....

Funny that Mel Gibson came up. But I think that's comparing apples to oranges. Gibson's an actor/producer. Steve was an entertainer, but he was also a herpetologist and conservationist.

Besides, Mel is a born US citizen. He's as much ours as Australia's--for better or worse.

Edited by Pain_Man

Jay Leno did a tribute to Steve on Tues night.

He showed a montage of clips from Steve's various appearances on the tonight show (only when Johnny was behind the desk was it the Tonight Show), with a particularly funny moment.

In one appearance, Steve had a beaver on Jay's desk. He tells Jay, "eaver is my favorite animal in North America."

Russell Crowe--also on that night and--was sitting on the couch, on camera left, and says, "I'm rather fond of beaver myself."

=))

Wasn't Nixon's the last US state funeral before Reagan's? Back in 1994? I remember his funeral was covered all over TV akin to Reagan's. Not as much coverage, but, a lot.

I would have to think it depends on what the criteria are for a state funeral in Australia. If there are any criteria.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.