Burning DVD-RW disks in VR format

advb

Hi,

To set the scene, I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and I am trying to transfer recordings from DVD-RAM to DVD-RW disks in VR (Video Recording) format. I have a burner on my computer which is DVD-RAM compatible.

I mainly use DVD-RAM disks because these allow you to do very easy editing on the recorder itself while retaining all the recording titles etc. The recorder can also record onto DVD-RW disks in VR (Video Recording) mode but editing is very limited. However, the recorder can finalize DVD-RW disks into standard DVD format disks, generating a menu and the standard VIDEO_TS folder and files. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds by editing on DVD-RAM disks and then transferring them onto DVD-RW disks so they can be finalized and then ultimately copied to DVD-R!

As a first step, I used ImgBurn to burn the recording files from a DVD-RAM disk onto a DVD-RW disk. The recorder happily read the DVD-RW disk, even showing it as a VR mode disk, and allowed the recordings to be played. However, when I went to finalize the disk, it said that the DVD-RW(VR) disk was already closed.

Is there any way of burning the files to the DVD-RW but leaving the session/disk open? I assume this is what makes difference between a normal disk and one in VR format.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Why don't you finalise in the recorder, making it into VR/VF whatever? The simply copy the files to your hard drive and pop them onto your RWs.

Then you can simply reformat the RAMs and away you go again.

This is what I do with my camcorder.

Regards

Why don't you finalise in the recorder, making it into VR/VF whatever? The simply copy the files to your hard drive and pop them onto your RWs.

Then you can simply reformat the RAMs and away you go again.

This is what I do with my camcorder.

Regards

Les,

A sensible suggestion but (unless I've missed in the menus), the recorder doesn't have a finalise option for DVD-RAM disks, only for DVD-RW disks. I'll definately check again, though....

Al

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.