Write speed miscompare

ghr1227

I started imgburn to burn a linux iso.  Upon startup it told me there was a newer version so I upgraded to the newest 2.5.8.0.

I burned the file as normal but there was an error message that there was a write speed miscompare and that the drive only supports 4x and 10x and it would only burn at 10x.  It did burn the disc at about 8.8x average. 

The log file initially says Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 10x

During the verify though it says: Source Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 10x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x 

So what gives?   These are normal 700MB 52x Memorex CD-R discs made by CMC magnetics.

I've been using imgburn for a while with this same media and never had this issue reported. 

Perhaps it's been *unreported* since I do recall the write speed not going very high.   

I checked for the latest firmware for my drive and I seem to be using it.

Also, the burn completed in far less time than the time remaining indicator said; something like 13 HOURS. 

Though it took only little more than 2 minutes.

I attached the log in a zip file.   I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.  I'm just curious why I've never seen it until now.

*edit*

This issue did not happen in the previous version I had version 2.5.7.0.   I found the log file which shows my last time

I used it and with the same settings on the same drive no write speed miscompare at all.

I updated the zip file I attached to include the last burn without the error and this one with.

*end edit*

imgburnlogfile.zip

Edited by ghr1227

The speeds come from the drive. If it initialises the disc differently for some reason (which can happen from time to time) then you'll be stuck with whatever it's offering speed wise until you eject and reinsert the disc so it initialises it again.

OK. But this didn't happen until I upgraded to the newest version.  See my zip attachement for the two log files from the version I had before and the new version.  Something changed with the update to 2.5.8.0 

Maybe it was happening but, not being logged/reported?

Edited by ghr1227

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.