Moving XP installation to USB drive from triple boot setup

robopoulos

Hi!

I have a triple boot setup = Ubuntu + dual boot XP & win7 which I would need to rearrange so that I have the XP moved onto a bootable USB hard drive. I have a mass of professional design & cad programs in the XP partition so it would be a huge job to install a fresh XP on the USB and then reinstall all programs.  When searching the net for a solution I found this site and would like to know if this operation can be done using ImgBurn so that all programs are moved too.

I have already installed ImgBurn and made one effort to create an ISO image from the XP partition. However, I decided to cancel the process when it informed that some hidden and system files could not be copied. So, if this job can be done with ImgBurn I have a lot of questions:

0. How does the overall process go? First create the ISO and make the USB hard drive bootable and lastly restore the ISO, correct?

1. What ISO file system and perhaps UDF version should be chosen in the ImgBurn Options tab? I live in Europe (Finland) if that makes a difference regarding filenames or something else.

2. How about the other options in the ImgBurn Options tab? Checking hidden and/or system files will try to copy the boot sector too so I don't know how that goes with making the USB bootable.

3. How about archive files and clearing the Archive attribute in the ImgBurn Options tab?

4. Will I need to take a backup copy of the XP registry?

5. Eventually I will move the Ubuntu to another USB hard drive, should I do that first?

6. Something else what I didn't understand to ask?

Thanks a bunch,

regards,

robopoulos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.