Questions CD and DVD, durability and store

gamemaniaco

Well, they make claims ranging from like 30 to 100 years, so I wouldn't believe any of them.  :)

I have some DVD-R's I burned in 2002 that are still readable today.  It also depends on the quality of the discs you buy.  I had a Vanguard DVD-R, before I knew they were a cheap manufacturer, that was unreadable after a year.

As for storage conditions, I only know of 2 things to do.  Keep out of sunlight and away from heat.  Store in low humidity.

1 I buy is use the discs are CD-R Smartbuy and DVD + R 16x PHILIPS manufactured by CMC Magnetics, here where I live has not Verbatim, Sony, Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui

2 my discs do not receive direct sunlight even where they are to be illuminated by sunlight during the day, it is an open and ventilated area all day 

3 my discs are in a bookshelf and bookcase that also has a 29'' CRT TV and satellite dish receiver, the heat generated by these two devices will damage my discs or not? I'm afraid but do not have another place in the house to put the discs, I'll post a photo:post-52653-0-01338200-1398794623_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the CMC Magentics may be a problem.

CMC Magnetics makes some of the worst optical media out there.  I had some from when Optodisc switched from making their own DVD-R's.  Half of their 200 cake stacks would not complete a burn.  Half of those that did would not complete a Verify!  :angry:  I don't trust CMC as far as I can throw them!  When I discover CMC in the MID of a media I'm unfamiliar with, I send them back.

Even Verbatim outsources their CD-R to CMC.  Now, CMC sometimes make a DVD+R that seems to be okay.  However, given their track record with other optical media, I still wouldn't trust them.

I get my media online.  Taiyo Yuden or TDK CD-R's, Memorex Mitsubishi MCC CD-RW's, and Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R DL, BD-R, and BD-RE, and Memorex/Ritek BD-RE.  The funny thing is Memorex is mostly crap, outsourcing their DVD-R and CD-R's to CMC.  But, their DVD+R is pretty good and their 24x CD-RW's are outsourced to one of the best makers of optical media out there, MCC, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.