You'd have never known?

dbminter

In most likely cases.

Imagine to have died on August 28th, but, the world at large only knowing until October 10th? What a delay! :angry: Anyway, legendary animation designer Ed Benedict died at 94, but, the news wires in the whole are only just now passing along this information to the public.

5 days after his 94th birthday, the cartoonist, who created the character designs for so many well known Hanna-Barbera characters, to name just a few: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and the four Flintstones' principle characters, laid down his pencil.

From my perspective as a fan of animation, it was his years over at MGM that I remember the best. He was recruited over there by Tex Avery, IMO, the best animation man who ever lived, when Avery defected there himself after not receiving the credit he felt he deserved for many things. (He was instrumental in designing the character of Bugs Bunny.) In particular on two Droopy shorts, Deputy Droopy and Dixieland Droopy.

Per his wishes, there was no service for Benedict. He was cremated and his ashes spread out into the same waters as his wife's had been, preceding him. With his passing, only a handful of the pioneers of animation remain. I can think of only three at the moment. Joe Barbera, Bill Melendez, and Bill Littlejohn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.