Burn always fails with I/O Error

holygamer

Log it attached. I've been burning discs this past year without problems. On rare occasions after burning a disc the drive might disconnect where Windows can't see the drive. But I restart my PC and it sorts it. That didn't work this time. I also used the Microsoft FixIt program which got Windows to see the drive again. However about half way through burning I get the IO error popup so the burn basically failed. That's happened several times in a row now so I can't seem to burn anything on that drive. Here's a screenshot of the popup. http://postimg.org/image/wk9bek9vp/

Log.txt

The real error from your drive is being lost / swallowed up by something else.

Go into the settings and put the I/O interface back on SPTI.

When you've done that, right click the drive selection box when you're in Write mode and click 'family tree'.

Close the prompt that comes up and then copy and paste everything from the log window.

Log: http://pastebin.com/wy1GYRL2

I had a similar problem years ago and you told me to use VirtualClone Drive and set the I/O interface in ImgBurn to ElbyCDIO (Virtual CloneDrive). I did that for both my writer drives. That solved the problem. But now a year later I've got the same problem again with the same drives.

Is it possible the drives have reached the end of their lives? Seems strange that they both fail at once.

Edited by holygamer

It's impossible to say without knowing the actual error your drive is returning.

The error you're getting after a 'retry' (asc 0x30, ascq 0x0C) stands for - "WORM MEDIUM - OVERWRITE ATTEMPTED". That error code isn't meant to apply to optical drives, hence why it has not been added to the lookup in the program and just says 'Unknown' in the log. The ASC 0x30 group is all about incompatible discs though.

As with most media related issues, I'd usually recommend trying different discs and possibly cleaning the drive with a cleaning disc.

A quick Google shows you can find the IRST stuff here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Picking the latest one (14.6.0.1029 at this time) takes me to the following link for the main driver:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25165/eng/SetupRST.exe

EDIT:

The latest supported by series 7 chipsets is v13.1 and you can get that here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

I installed the series 7 chipsets is v13.1 driver you mentioned. I burned a disc in each drive. One of the drives worked fine. The other burned the disc but got stuck at 0% when Verifying the disc. I cancelled it and it said "Waiting for Read Thread (Device)". It wouldn't close. Before I ended the process I copied the log here: http://pastebin.com/y1q4BVpc

I opened ImgBurn again and it said searching for SCSI/ATAPI devices. I also couldn't eject the disc from the problem drive.

What should I do now?

• 1 month later...

Is there nothing else I can do? I've installed the series 7 chipsets is v13.1 driver you mentioned and restarted my PC. Same problem. Problem happens with both drives. Restarting my PC every time I get an I/O error/drive disappears, is fine but I'd like to actually get to the root of the problem and fix it. Please help mate.

Here's my Filter Driver Load Order. Is there anything wrong here?:

http://postimg.org/image/men3a1xo1/

Is there a particular drive and motherboard you could recommend that won't have this issue? I could use Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit.

I also put my Bluray drive inside a spare Windows 8 PC I have which has minimal software installed. So basically there's nothing installed that could interfere with the burning of discs. It was on SPTI. Filter Driver Load order on that only had the Bluray drive mentioned so I figured it would work without problems. I didn't burn at all at first. I ran Microsoft fix it and it said it fixed a problem with the Filter Driver Load Order. How could there be a problem if there's nothing installed apart from the drive?

Anyway after that I burned a few discs OK then I tried to burn another disc and ImgBurn is stuck on "reserving track". It won't let me stop it. Here's the log I copied while it was on reserving track:

I 13:07:48 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 13:07:48 Microsoft Windows 8 Core x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 13:07:48 Total Physical Memory: 8,261,820 KiB  -  Available: 6,805,184 KiB
I 13:07:48 Initialising SPTI...
I 13:07:48 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 13:07:49 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS38 1.02-A0 (E:) (SATA)
I 13:07:49 Found 1 BD-RE!
I 13:08:25 Operation Started!
I 13:08:25 Source File: F:\WWE Raw 1993-2002 + 2007 Bluray ISOs\Raw 1999\Raw 1999 Disc 3 - April 26 to June 14.iso
I 13:08:25 Source File Sectors: 11,961,984 (MODE1/2048)
I 13:08:25 Source File Size: 24,498,143,232 bytes
I 13:08:25 Source File Volume Identifier: Raw 1999 Disc 3 - April 26 to June 14
I 13:08:25 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 40D32BCB00B68504
I 13:08:25 Source File Application Identifier: ImgBurn v2.5.5.0
I 13:08:25 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 13:08:25 Source File File System(s): UDF (2.50)
I 13:08:25 Destination Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH10LS38 1.02 (E:) (SATA)
I 13:08:25 Destination Media Type: BD-R (Disc ID: CMCMAG-BA3-000)
I 13:08:25 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x
I 13:08:25 Destination Media Sectors: 12,219,392
I 13:08:25 Write Mode: BD
I 13:08:25 Write Type: DAO
I 13:08:25 Write Speed: 4x
I 13:08:25 Hardware Defect Management Active: No
I 13:08:25 BD-R Verify Not Required: Yes
I 13:08:25 Link Size: Auto
I 13:08:25 Lock Volume: Yes
I 13:08:25 Test Mode: No
I 13:08:25 OPC: No
I 13:08:25 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 13:08:25 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 17,982 KB/s (4x)
I 13:17:10 Abort Request Acknowledged

Do you think the drives are faulty? Seems very strange that BOTH drives failed at the same time?

Something else strange is that I tried to use the Windows Disc Image Burner and it said the image is too large! Yet the image is only 22.8GB. I notice that in Computer the drive is listed as having 22.5GB available space! Very strange as Windows 7 says 23.3GB. Yet after that I tried to burn with ImgBurn and it worked!

Edited by holygamer

My bios says Sata Mode is AHCI. I'm using just 1 of the Bluray drives now for further testing of this issue. When the drive is connected to a SATA II port with a red SATA II cheap cable I got off Ebay or a high quality cable from Scan I get an IO error or miscompare when Verifying either immediately or after a few burns.

I also have a Supermicro card installed in a x8 slot which adds 8 SATA III ports. I have the following cables connected to it: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3ware-multi-lane-sff8087-to-4x-sata-fan-out-cable-05-metres-single-cable

When I connect the cables from that card to the Bluray drive I didn't get any problems (I got no issues after burning 16 discs). Why would I only get problems when using my motherboard's internal SATA ports yet I don't get any issues when using the SATA card?

I also tried using the drive in a another Windows 8 PC I have. That PC has minimal software installed as I only use it for video capture so there was never anything listed in the Filter Driver Load Order other than the Bluray drive. Yet I still had to run Microsoft fix it for it to fix something there before it would burn. Very strange. I was also using a different cable that time and most of the time when I try to start a burn it just gets stuck on "Reserving Track" before it even starts the burn. I could never get it working. What do you think the problem is on that PC? That PC was also running in AHCI mode. I also noticed that in "Computer" the drive (with blank disc in) is listed as having 22.5GB capacity instead of 23.3GB.

Edited by holygamer

Thanks for your help. It seems that updating the firmware fixed the issues for both drives. Very weird as they were working fine the past few months. now I've burned lots of discs on both drives set to SPTI.

I was wondering, here's my filter driver load order: http://postimg.org/image/men3a1xo1/

Do you think any of those things would have been causing problems with regards to IO errors, etc?

I removed the GearASPIWDM which I think was from iTunes. Not sure if the AnyDVD was causing problems but I removed that as well. Note that I don't have AnyDVD open when using ImgBurn. Any idea what the iaStorF is from? I removed that as well.

By removing the filter drivers, iTunes obviously won't be able to burn (and possible not even 'rip') your CDs. By removing the anydvd one you will have stopped that from working too. Your driver version for anydvd seemed like an old one. Just install the current version and you'll be fine. The iastorf one is part of the Intel rapid storage technology driver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.