Erasing Sony DVD-RW failure

Doc

Hi All

I inadvertantly formatted or at least tried to format a Sony DVD-RW as a CD-RW using XP :blush: . When I reallised I erased it. I tried then to reformat using NTI DVD maker, it failed so I tried a full erase, it failed too. Someone suggested ImgBurn. That too failed to do a full erase the error was

W 14:16:43 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0/2) - Power Calibration Area Error

I got the same error in several different DVD-RW devices

At least it gave me some error information :-) is this disk now stuffed or is there some way of doing a deep physical erase to get rid of all fomatting that may still be causing a problem? I have heard of somthing that can do this "DC ERASE technology or somthing" that can rejuvinate some dodgy disks

Cheers

I admit I have never heard of this before - surprised the drive would allow you to format a DVD-RW as a CD-RW but I don't know much about them.... :unsure:

I am sure you have realised that ImgBurn allows you to fully format a disc, when you did this disc was it doing the full format ?

Also have you just tried writing to the disc and seeing what happens then ?

I admit I have never heard of this before - surprised the drive would allow you to format a DVD-RW as a CD-RW but I don't know much about them.... :unsure:

Well I was suprised too! and after thinking mmm the disc must have been stuffed to start with I decided in for a penny in for a pound and pulled a cheaper DVDRW checked it was ok using ImgBurn (All good). Removed it from my drive added it again and got XP to format it as a CDRW. Yep it had a good go but failed midwayish, but wait! It now behaves exactly as my original screwed disc, it cannot be erased or formatted as a DVD-RW or anything else for that matter. So Hopefully I have for the cost of two CDRW's prevented someone else tring this rather stupid thing!

FYI- My Drive is a DVDRW 16X standard that ships with the Acer veretron series 7700GX Since ImgBurn could format and read write intact discs fine I suspect it's an XP issue along with my stupidity though I'm surely not the first to try this am I :blush: ?

I am sure you have realised that ImgBurn allows you to fully format a disc, when you did this disc was it doing the full format ?

Yep, I actually downloaded ImgBurn to do the original deep erase but it failed.

Also have you just tried writing to the disc and seeing what happens then ?

Yep, fails miserably. Still looking to find a really deep physical eraser the link below seems to suggest it is possible though you need a new type of drive it seems :unsure: they suggest it's a good way to bring malfunctioning discs back to life. Though I'd like to see it before I beleive it. (http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article1548-mode=thread-order0-threshold0.phtml)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.