Disk empty or not empty?

Blueie

Hello

ImgBurn is telling me when I insert a blank RW disk: Ready (Disc Not Empty).

Does this mean I am unable to burn my MP4 movie to that disk, please?

My Windows 10 PC shows the following (attached).

There was a movie on that same disk previously but I have used Windows to erase it and Windows tells me the disk is now empty.

Thanks for any help.

Blueie

post-52678-0-88913800-1475888061_thumb.jpg

Now, don't quote me on this, but when you erase discs in Windows, Windows writes a desktop.ini or some kind of .ini file to the root directory.  Or a System Volume folder.  Especially if it erased it as a giant floppy.  That's probably the reason why ImgBurn says it's not empty.  Because Windows erased it.  And if Windows did "format" the disc as a giant floppy, ImgBurn will see it's "not empty."  It's been formatted and thus "written" to to enable using the disc as a giant floppy.

You should be able to drag and drop files in Windows/File Explorer to the disc and write to it.  Or if you're going to write an image to the disc with ImgBurn, it will ask you if you want to erase the disc or not.  If you're sure you don't need anything on the disc, just tell ImgBurn to go ahead with the write.

But, did you drag and drop a movie file to the RW disc in Windows/File Explorer?  Or did you create an ISO and burn the ISO to the RW with Windows internal burning engine?  If you dragged and dropped it, Windows automatically formatted it as a giant floppy.  If the ISO was burned, then it is seen as not being empty because contents were burned to it.  So, either way, the disc contains contents and that's why ImgBurn says it's not empty.  Because it has that movie burned to it, in one way or another.

In this case, as long as you don't mind the contents on the RW being erased when you choose to start a Write operation in ImgBurn, you can just tell ImgBurn it's all right to erase the disc before burning.  So, yeah, you can ignore it if you don't mind losing the current contents on the RW disc.  And you'll be prompted by ImgBurn if it's okay to erase the contents on the disc before the image write begins.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.