DVDInfoPro scan speed question

Jim44

Hi folks,

Hopefully I'm not out of line asking a question about DIP here.

I noticed in cornholio's "meager" guide :) he suggests using "8x CAV" as the speed for PIPO scans. I've got Ver 4.623, which only has choices of "Accuracy", "Balanced", "Faster", and "Fastest". Any suggstions as to which would be similar to the "8x CAV" setting?

Thanks,

Jim

i think its because your drive doesn't fully support scanning. there probably won't be any jitter measurement

if you have the time try accuracy and faster and post up the results so others that have the same choice you have can see what the results are :)

i think its because your drive doesn't fully support scanning. there probably won't be any jitter measurement

Probably shoulda mentioned, I have a Plextor PX-716A (1.10 firmware). There *seemed* to be jitter measurements, but I'm at work and can't recall. I'll check when I get home.

if you have the time try accuracy and faster and post up the results so others that have the same choice you have can see what the results are :)

I'll see what I can do, time-wise. :)

(I was somewhat disappointed in the "Quality" score, which was ~82%, although nothing jumped out as "wrong" based on reading your guide. Verbatim DVD+R - MCC-004 media. Obviously, the discussion can go further once I post results :) )

Thanks,

Jim

that can easily be explained with that plextor drive, i have one too, the jitter score is always higher using it, and once the jitter comes over 10%, the quality rating drops quite quickly.

what speed did you burn these at?

that can easily be explained with that plextor drive, i have one too, the jitter score is always higher using it, and once the jitter comes over 10%, the quality rating drops quite quickly.

You nailed it :) As I recall, the jitter was 13-14%. That would seem to explain it. It seemed that several of the scan infos I had seen here were scanned on a BenQ drive, which I'm guessing performs better as a scanner?

what speed did you burn these at?

I burned one disc at 12X, and another (same content) at 6X, just to see if there was a difference (there wasn't much).

Mainly I was playing around with the new tool - just downloaded/bought DIP last weekend, and the difference's noted earlier more or less caught my eye. Sounds like with my Plextor I just need to take that "Quality" rating with a grain of salt.

Thanks,

Jim

not really, if you compare some of the scans i have made in the media forum , even though they are scanned with the benq, the jitter is generally higher on the plextor 716, its just the way it is , the benq have low jitter as does my pioneer, my nec gives a higher jitter reading, its just different from drive to drive. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sorry for the delay, but finally got some time to run an "Accuracy" and "Faster" scan on a disc.

Media:

Verbatim

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Scanned on my Plextor PX-716A 1.10 firmware.

(If these should be moved/re-posted in another forum, let me know.)

Accuracy:

Accuracy.png

Faster:

Faster.png

Jim

lol, graph wise, they look about the same to me! (The PI / PIF numbers are obviously lower on the 'accuracy' one though)

How much faster was the 'faster' one?

From what I can remember, scanning on a plextor takes aaaaaaaggggeeees. BenQ and LiteOn owners can do it in minutes :)

lol, graph wise, they look about the same to me! (The PI / PIF numbers are obviously lower on the 'accuracy' one though)

Right, there wasn't much of a difference.

How much faster was the 'faster' one?
Good question! :) Unfortunately, I didn't take notes on that :(

From what I can remember, scanning on a plextor takes aaaaaaaggggeeees. BenQ and LiteOn owners can do it in minutes :)

As I recall, it did take quite a while to perform both scans. And like I commented earlier, it seemed most scan results in the Drive & Media forum that I looked at were scanned on either of those two drives (I now understand why :) )

Jim

not really up on reading the PI/PE graphs but it seems to me that the quality rating % should be much higher for the numbers

As cornholio mentioned, it probably has to do with the >10% jitter results. I seem to recall, when checking in on the progress of the scan, that the quality % was higher before the jitter test was performed (in the 90's).

Jim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.