Burning stopped at 53%

2 minutes ago, dbminter said:

At this point, if it still fails, I'd blame the used BD burner.  You're using the quality Verbatim VERBAT-IM BD-R, so it's not a disc quality issue.  You're burning single layer BD-R; multiple layer BD-R recording can be unreliable depending on what BD model you have.  (For instance, the only BD-RE DL burner I've reliably used is the LG WH16NS60.)  You've switched to a USB 3.0 port.  So, at that point, I'd look into trying a different BD burner.

Exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately that'll probably cost another $50 to $100 but whatever. I want to be able to burn some BDs so fingers crossed. 

I use the LG WH16NS60 in a Vantec USB 3.0 enclosure.  The NS60 is an internal drive, but you can use it in a USB 3.0 enclosure.  The drive itself is about $80 and the enclosure is about half that, so, yes, it's an investment.  The NS40 is cheaper, but it does not properly write to BD-R/RE DL media.  I've been using the NS60 for years with those Verbatim BD-R you're using with few failures that weren't the result of a dying drive.  I use BD-R for a lot of data backups, no BD movies.  Their large size is great for system images backups.  I can backup my entire Windows partition to 2 BD-R.

45 minutes ago, dbminter said:

I use the LG WH16NS60 in a Vantec USB 3.0 enclosure.  The NS60 is an internal drive, but you can use it in a USB 3.0 enclosure.  The drive itself is about $80 and the enclosure is about half that, so, yes, it's an investment.  The NS40 is cheaper, but it does not properly write to BD-R/RE DL media.  I've been using the NS60 for years with those Verbatim BD-R you're using with few failures that weren't the result of a dying drive.  I use BD-R for a lot of data backups, no BD movies.  Their large size is great for system images backups.  I can backup my entire Windows partition to 2 BD-R.

Well hoorah, we're good for now. The burn went very smoothly. Thanks for all the help! 

I wasn't honestly sure that would help.  :)  It makes sense, though, because I had read somewhere USB 2.x was too slow for Blu-Ray burning.  That's why I went with a USB 3.0 enclosure, just to be certain.  And, it makes sense, somewhat.  Semaphore timeout errors are a communication drop between the USB bridge and the motherboard on the PC.  I suppose data could be coming in too slow for the device and dropping communication, resulting in errors.

But, as long as it works, who cares why the problem went away, right?  :wink:

25 minutes ago, dbminter said:

I wasn't honestly sure that would help.  :)  It makes sense, though, because I had read somewhere USB 2.x was too slow for Blu-Ray burning.  That's why I went with a USB 3.0 enclosure, just to be certain.  And, it makes sense, somewhat.  Semaphore timeout errors are a communication drop between the USB bridge and the motherboard on the PC.  I suppose data could be coming in too slow for the device and dropping communication, resulting in errors.

But, as long as it works, who cares why the problem went away, right?  :wink:

Yeah that's my outlook. If it works it works, generally it's good to understand why things happen but when it comes to technology I care most about if it gets the job done. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.