Verification Fails in One Drive- Succeeds in Another?

C.C. 95

I wanted to ask the experts here if they have experienced this, and why this may be happening.

I have two drives I use to burn Verbatim BD-R 50GB DL discs. Both are USB connected drives:

ASUS BW-16D1HT 
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD08U 

A few times recently, when burning on the ASUS- the disc will fail at the verification with the L-EC uncorrectable error. 
When I put the disc into the PIONEER- and run the verify against the .Iso file, it verifies just fine!

So, apparently the burn is fine? And the ASUS drive just couldn't get the verification correct?

If so, why?

Thanks

Two reasons.  1.) your particular ASUS drive has a fault in it.  2.) the ASUS drive simply isn't a good model to use.  I would lean toward #2.  I know that ASUS model does not write properly to DVD+R DL.  It always fails Verify.  I never tried the discs that failed in another drive and manually performed a Verify on those.  That ASUS model never did work right from day 1.  Initially, it destroyed DVD+RW and BD-RE rewritable discs.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:00 AM, dbminter said:

Two reasons.  1.) your particular ASUS drive has a fault in it.  2.) the ASUS drive simply isn't a good model to use.  I would lean toward #2.  I know that ASUS model does not write properly to DVD+R DL.  It always fails Verify.  I never tried the discs that failed in another drive and manually performed a Verify on those.  That ASUS model never did work right from day 1.  Initially, it destroyed DVD+RW and BD-RE rewritable discs.

Thanks. I appreciate your input! That's a little disappointing to hear.

It's like the LG WH16NS60 all over again. (Oh the memories of the LG and layer break failures)....But is interesting that the ASUS apparently burned correctly, but just couldn't verify it correctly.... I must admit that it doesn't always have this issue- but certainly is not consistant.

Weird that a dinky little Pioneer drive is the most realiable, and my workhorse! (And you don't even need to flash the firmware! It good to go out of the box!)

Edited by C.C. 95

I never encountered any fatal problems with the WH16NS60, unlike the NS40.

Pioneer's are not good to go out of the box.  For 10 years, they've had a firmware problem they refuse to fix, despite my attempts to tell them with each new drive and firmware update release that does not fix it.  They do not write properly to 8x DVD+RW media.  They will always fail Verify.  The 213 model had a promising start.  It did address this issue, but did not write properly to CD-R and DVD+R DL.  By the time they addressed those 2 issues, they REINTRODUCED the DVD+RW bork!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.