ImgBurn on Windows to make .iso (backup) of Linux OS USB

dzséti

I have serached the internet high and low, but cannot find any clear information about using a Windows machine to turn a Linux OS USB into an .iso.

I am using Ext2 Volume Manager to open and edit files on the Linux USB from my Windows machine, but it is not clear to me whether software like ImgBurn, which deals with the image rather than the individual files, can create an .iso from a Linux OS and save this on a Windows machine

Also I guess that ImgBurn cannot make a bootable Linux OS USB from a Linux .iso on a Windows machine (the opposite process) since the general recommendation is to use Rufus. Have I got this wrong?

On 10/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, dbminter said:

ImgBurn cannot write to USB thumb drives except if you used one as the target for creating an image from a disc or in Build mode.  So, you're right in that ImgBurn cannot create a bootable USB thumb drive.

Thanks for this. Can it create an .iso of a Linux OS USB, which could then be written to another USB by different software (such as Rufus)?

No.  The only ISO creation that is done by ImgBurn is to read optical discs or if you supplied it with files in Build mode.  Now, it's theoretically possibly to create a bootable ISO in ImgBurn in Build mode if you know all the necessary boot settings, but I've never successfully gotten that feature to work.

In short, ImgBurn won't create ISO's of USB thumb drives or external HDD's.

On 10/16/2023 at 11:19 PM, dbminter said:

No.  The only ISO creation that is done by ImgBurn is to read optical discs or if you supplied it with files in Build mode.  Now, it's theoretically possibly to create a bootable ISO in ImgBurn in Build mode if you know all the necessary boot settings, but I've never successfully gotten that feature to work.

In short, ImgBurn won't create ISO's of USB thumb drives or external HDD's.

Thanks for a very clear answer on this :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.