Problem with dual layer DVDs

Gamatos

Hello,

I am new here but I am an experienced user.

I recently wanted to copy some movies from DVDs back to my HD. Following problem: all my dual-layer DVDs stop at about 46-50% during the copy process. That means there is the problem with the 2nd layer.

After checking the device properties with imgburn (all DL-discs are enabled) I still can't get pass the 50%.

You can find as attachment my error message and the log file.

Any workaround for this? Is the dvd drive the problem?

error.PNG

ImgBurn.log

If all your DVD+R DL were the same as this one

I 09:58:33 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67)

it could be the RICOH discs you're using.  Verbatim DataLife MKM DVD+R DL are the only reliable brand out there.  I once tried a 3 pack of Ritek aka Ricoh DVD+R DL.  2 of the 3 were completely unreadable aka blank after 1 year.

So, it could be if you used all Ricoh DVD+R DL, they've gone bad at the layer break.

However, since it happens on all the DVD+R DL you check, that seems unlikely and what is more likely is the drive is the problem.  There are firmware updates for the drive you're using.  A few firmware updates beyond 1.00 you're currently using.  Try installing the latest firmware and see if that helps:

https://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/BH10LS38/files.html

Thanks for the reply. I updated the firmware, that didn't affect anything. My DVDs are mainly Intenso by the way. Are they the same as Ricoh?

I came to the conclusion, that my DVDs are corrupted. It has been 10 years, since I burned them. Some DVD5 are also bad.

I tried Recuva (doesn't support DL for some reason) to recover some of them. The problem is, that the movie is playable up to a certain point. So that doesn't help much.

Are there better programs that do a better job or should I forget those DVDs that cannot be read or copied?

Edited by Gamatos

Since they ALL are problematic, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the drive just yet.  I would try one more test.  Take one of these problematic DVD's and play them in something other than this PC DVD drive.  Preferably a standalone DVD player.  Then, go through each of the contents and do a forward scan test.  Set the speed to the middle value so you get a decent enough test but you don't spend hours testing.  If the forward scan test does not choke at the layer break or anywhere else on the disc, then it's probably the fact that that disc, anyway, it still readable.

I am also convinced that it is a fault of the DVD drive. It can't be, that ALL my DVD9 are bad directly after the layer break. On the other side more than 50% of the DVD5 are OK.

Unfortunately I can't test the discs on a standalone player right now. I may test them on another PC, if I find one with a DVD drive nowadays :)

Well, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it COULD have happened.  As I said and as you also believe, it is unlikely, though.  Issues with DVD+R DL discs often happen at the layer break because that is the most vulnerable area.

One way to test is to get a USB DVD drive and try that.  You're better off getting a half height drive and putting it in a USB enclosure as slim drives are often problematic.  If you do get a slim, try to get one from Pioneer or Verbatim, which would be a Pioneer.  The external slim drives I've used have been Verbatim rebadged Pioneer drives.  But, those were BD drives.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific DVD drive to test with.  I haven't used a DVD drive for like 10 years now.  I switched exclusively to BD drives.  If you want my recommendation for that, it would be the WH16NS60 from LG.  However, you probably can't find those anymore and will have to go with the WH16NS40.  The only problem with the NS40 was it supported BD-R DL and BD-RE DL but did not write to them correctly.  And if you're going to get one of those, get a VanTec USB 3.0 optical drive enclosure, but make sure you get a USB 3.0 one as a BD drive needs that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.