Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD+R DL

Dawn_fan

34 minutes ago, Dawn_fan said:

Yeah, I guess Pioneer could do a better job with testing out the firmware before they release it out, or else they would just be creating more problems for themselves and the users of their drives.

I guess LG's main option as a choice for BD writing is the NS40, I saw one other LG halfheight from Best Buy that I would like to try. It's not a BD burner and it only burns DVDs and CDs. Ah yeah, I found it on the LG store: LG GH24NSB0 https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-gh24nsb0-internal-dvd-drive

This drive looks pretty captivating as LG advertises a 24X DVD write, I didn't know that was possible as I thought the only max speed for DVDs is 16X. If my NS40 dies somehow after all of the burning I do on it, I may pick this one up and see how it performs since I would still have my enclosure.

Pioneer would do a better job if they'd just LISTENED to me for the past 10 years and fixed the borked 8x DVD+RW write strategies!  I provided them ImgBurn logs, ImgBurn error codes, MID's, where I bought the discs, etc.  Pioneer just didn't give a damn.

Yeah, I've seen a few maximum DVD write rates listed as 24x, but I've yet to get such a drive and see any results like that.  I've also seen some so called CD-R get write rates in the 50x's, but I've never actually seen that before in the wild.

31 minutes ago, Dawn_fan said:

Well that's great. Also quick recap, when you say the "cheaper" ones, are you referring to the ones that were priced extremely low or the non-printable ones that have colored packing instead of the inkjet printables?

I was referring to the cheaper, low priced inkjet DVD+R DL from Verbatim DataLife Plus I recently got off of Amazon.com.

18 hours ago, dbminter said:

Pioneer would do a better job if they'd just LISTENED to me for the past 10 years and fixed the borked 8x DVD+RW write strategies!  I provided them ImgBurn logs, ImgBurn error codes, MID's, where I bought the discs, etc.  Pioneer just didn't give a damn.

Yeah I think they've just turned into a company where they're reluctant to acknowledge user based feedback. Has LG responded to your feedback about their drives or are they similar to that of Pioneer?

Yeah, I've seen a few maximum DVD write rates listed as 24x, but I've yet to get such a drive and see any results like that.  I've also seen some so called CD-R get write rates in the 50x's, but I've never actually seen that before in the wild.

Ah ok. I would definitely want to get one of those and test them out. If I do I will post me results with them here on the forum. Best Buy sells one of these for just ~$30 so no harm in testing it.

I was referring to the cheaper, low priced inkjet DVD+R DL from Verbatim DataLife Plus I recently got off of Amazon.com.

Ah yes, now I remember. I visited the previous link you had sent before and the prices have skyrocketed back up, I think Amazon had a really good sale for limited time on them.

LG is sort of 50/50.  They sometimes listen to me.  For instance, the running change on MCC DVD-R I mentioned.  They fixed that in a firmware update.  However, I've told them for years their firmware for Verbatim BD-R only writes at 12x to 16x rated media.

Yeah, I think Amazon just had some really good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.  I intended on getting a Samsung T7 2 TB USB SSD this month.  It was listed at $129 but dropped to $99 around Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  So, I went ahead and ordered one early.  Now, they're back up to $129.  So, it looked like this year the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals were better than their Christmas deals.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:33 AM, dbminter said:

LG is sort of 50/50.  They sometimes listen to me.  For instance, the running change on MCC DVD-R I mentioned.  They fixed that in a firmware update.  However, I've told them for years their firmware for Verbatim BD-R only writes at 12x to 16x rated media.

Ah ok I understand now. Regardless of the speed, as long as it writes to the discs is the main thing that matters but yes it would be better if it could also write at the rated speed properly. Definitely beats Pioneer.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:33 AM, dbminter said:

Yeah, I think Amazon just had some really good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.  I intended on getting a Samsung T7 2 TB USB SSD this month.  It was listed at $129 but dropped to $99 around Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  So, I went ahead and ordered one early.  Now, they're back up to $129.  So, it looked like this year the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals were better than their Christmas deals.

Yeah, nice steal.

On a side note, if you're after quality Verbatim MCC inkjet DVD-R, Amazon has them for nearly 50% off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A0CV9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I was thinking of getting some to have on hand in February as I have a few left right now, but at that price I may go ahead and get them.

1.) they're nearly half off

2.) if I use my Discover credit card before December 31st, I get 5% Cash Back Bonus on Amazon.com purchases.

Interestingly enough, I just noticed.  It's cheaper to buy 2 of the 50 disc spindles than the 100 tape wrapped stack!  Not only do you save a few dimes, you get 2 50 disc cake stack holders which aren't included in the tape wrapped offering.

On 12/24/2023 at 1:22 PM, dbminter said:

Interestingly enough, I just noticed.  It's cheaper to buy 2 of the 50 disc spindles than the 100 tape wrapped stack!  Not only do you save a few dimes, you get 2 50 disc cake stack holders which aren't included in the tape wrapped offering.

Oh yeah that's actually a better deal. I just recently got the CMC Pro CD-Rs and they come in tape wrap so I reused my old spindles so I can easily store them. Very nice feature of spindles.

Those cheaper priced DVD-R are still the high quality MCC Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation discs.  Just got them today and checked them out.

Cool, that's nice. I guess everything that's Verbatim DataLifePlus is considered MCC. I don't think the brand is going anywhere so yeah.

I've found use in keeping old spindles.  Verbatim changed the style of spindles they ship their DVD+R DL in so they only stack with those kinds of spindles.  They don't stack with standard spindles.  So, when I get new supplies of DVD+R DL, I have to put them in one of the older spindles so they'll stack properly.  A real pain.

DataLife Plus will be either MCC or MKM Mitsubishi media.  MCC for DVD+/-R and MKM for DVD+R DL.

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, dbminter said:

I've found use in keeping old spindles.  Verbatim changed the style of spindles they ship their DVD+R DL in so they only stack with those kinds of spindles.  They don't stack with standard spindles.  So, when I get new supplies of DVD+R DL, I have to put them in one of the older spindles so they'll stack properly.  A real pain.

Yeah I agree the old spindles are useful. How did the spindles change, I thought they're all just the same where you slide the disc on the pole in the center of the spindle and keep on stacking them?

On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, dbminter said:

DataLife Plus will be either MCC or MKM Mitsubishi media.  MCC for DVD+/-R and MKM for DVD+R DL.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I have always wondered what that slight difference was. I know one is Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation and the other is Mitsubishi Kagaku Media but I never understood why they are both differently used for different kinds of discs.

Edited by Dawn_fan
typo

The difference is in the clear plastic exterior.  The DVD+R DL's are thicker on top so they don't stack with older ones where the top is thinner.

I don't know why DVD+/-R uses MCC and DVD+R DL uses MKM.

12 hours ago, dbminter said:

The difference is in the clear plastic exterior.  The DVD+R DL's are thicker on top so they don't stack with older ones where the top is thinner.

I don't know why DVD+/-R uses MCC and DVD+R DL uses MKM.

Ah ok, I see now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.