Media Type Options

ItsNannerpuss

Why is ImgBurn asking me what media type to use when erasing a disk in a CD-RW drive? Does it really think I'm trying to erase a DVD-RW in a CD-RW drive? I know it knows it's not a DVD drive, because it lists it as a CD-RW when it starts up. :wacko:

Edited by Cyber Dog

Probably because your drive is so old it doesn't support the command to get the 'Current Profile' - which ImgBurn uses to identify the media in the drive.

I could probably tweak it but I've had no reason to up until now - I wasn't aware of the problem because all the drives in my machines are DVD burners.

It shows as 'N/A' when there's no disc in the drive.

Obviously unless your drive is only capable of rewriting 1 type of media, the capabilities info is of no use. It just so happens that you do fall into that category - whereas most people are now using drives that can rewrite cds, dvd-rw, dvd+rw and dvdram - hence the reason for prompting if the program can't determine the media type automatically.

Since your original posting, I've already made the necessary tweaks so that if the 'get current profile' function fails, the program will look to see if the drive is just a basic cd burner before then assuming you want to erase a cdrw.

Ah ok, what I've done isn't going to help you then - I'd assumed your drive was failing to return anything, not returning the wrong thing.

Could you actually please just put an RW in the drive and copy / paste all the info from that window.

It would help you have 2 copies, 1 when the RW is empty and 1 when it's been written to.

Thanks.

-A fully erased RW displays this:

LITE-ON LTR-48125W VS0D (ATA)

Current Profile: CD-RW

Disc Information:

Erasable: Yes

Free Sectors: 359,847

Free Space: 736,966,656 bytes

Free Time: 79:59:72 (MM:SS:FF)

-The RW after I burned a random image with ImgBurn:

Current Profile: CD-RW

Disc Information:

Erasable: Yes

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 346,084

Size: 708,780,032 bytes

Time: 76:56:34 (MM:SS:FF)

--however--

The original state of the RW before erasing was:

Current Profile: CD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 347,408

Size: 711,491,584 bytes

Time: 77:14:08 (MM:SS:FF)

So, whatever had been burned to the disc prior, and with whatever program, was reading as ROM vs RW (not sure if this is expected or not).

Ok so when it's done properly, ImgBurn would have worked anyway without prompting you for the media type.

When the drive reports it's a CDROM and that it's not erasable, all I can do is believe it!

You might find you've got a program installed that's messing with that info on the fly. There are lots of them out there that make CDR and CDRW look like normal CDROM discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.