Windows XP Bootable ISO

skipit

Hi. I recently stumbled upon IMGBurn in hopes that this is the perfect CD burning software. I have Nero and know how to burn the bootable CD in there, but I'm trying to do the same thing in here to test (as that's the most advanced thing I'll ever do with burning software).

I can't figure out the proper options even though I felt like I was mimicking the web tutorials flawlessly. I'd love it if someone could help me out please.

Thx!

Hi. I recently stumbled upon IMGBurn in hopes that this is the perfect CD burning software. I have Nero and know how to burn the bootable CD in there, but I'm trying to do the same thing in here to test (as that's the most advanced thing I'll ever do with burning software).

I can't figure out the proper options even though I felt like I was mimicking the web tutorials flawlessly. I'd love it if someone could help me out please.

Thx!

I have got the same problem too. No one seems to know how to use it eather to make a bootalbe CD or it doesn't make them. I wouldn't have downloaded it if I would have known that it cann't make them, even though in the add it said that it made bootable CDs. Oh well, you get what you pay for, back to Nero.

However, It's NICE for Free with a small donation!

It's free without a donation!

and of course it can make bootable discs, that's the whole purpose of the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab in build mode!

What are you trying to make bootable?

What's your boot image taken from?

A bootable XP install disc isn't possible with 2.1.0.0 because you have to have file extensions as part of the iso9660 standard and some of the files on the xp install disc don't have them - and it won't boot if they do.

The next version adds an option to allow such files.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was trying to create a bootable CD too but was unable to figure it out on my own so I came to this forum. While I think that ImgBurn is an amazing utility, I think that the location of the bootable feature is not entirely intuitive. I spent quite a bit of time poking around looking (in the tools options menu mainly--there's a lot of impenatrable stuff there) but was unsuccessful. Now I know that you have to switch from "write" mode to the "build" mode (whatever that means) in order to activate the bootable option. I would normally think that one would want to "write" a bootable CD because "writing" is the action that one normally associates when burning a CD. I don't think that there is any way I would have been able to figure out that on my own.

The tool is called 'ImgBurn' - by definition it's for burning disc images.

'Write' mode is for burning existing images, it won't let you burn anything else.

'Build' mode is for you don't have an image file, but instead need to create / build one from random (non image) files that you have on your hdd.

It you think about it logically, it actually makes perfect sense.

If you're burning an image file, it would already be bootable / not bootable so that doesn't really come into the equation.

There are guides for people who don't know what they're doing, there's not much more we can do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.