FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME and updating IDE drivers

dbminter

LUK, since we at one time had the same motherboard, and may still do, I've got a question about this line in logs that may appear:

W 00:09:57 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Not Supported! - Update your motherboard / IDE drivers!!!

How would one check for an update to their IDE drivers? I doubt I can help this problem with an update of the drivers, should I not have update to date ones. But, it's a far easier solution to try it than to update the mobo. :lol:

Thanks!

You simply go to the site of whoever makes the chipset on your board (in your case, Intel) and download anything 'chipset' / 'ide' / 'sata' related.

You could also be having these problems if you have bad filter drivers installed that are blocking the commands and not passing them through the chain properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I have the latest. All I found on the site of downloads for my mobo that seemed remotely close to it was the Chipset Software Installation Utility, and I believe I've installed those drivers already. Plus, they're almost 2 years old. Oh, wait, if that's what I'm looking for, didn't Major Geeks or something like that have an update Intel didn't have? :unsure:

Yeah, the chipset inf installation util is the one you want.

You should probably also have a version (old one now probably as new ones don't support i875 chipset) of the matrix storage driver.

You should then check your filter drivers as one of those (silicon image, if it's installed) messes this function up.

Actually, can you tell me something I can do that might repeat this LOCK VOLUME issue? I didn't note what it was that caused it in the log below and I forget what it was I was doing. So I can test my drivers.

I know my lack of knowledge is becoming embarrassing at this point :blush: but how would I check the version of/updates for the matrix storage driver and/or my filter drivers (silicon image). As... I'm not even entirely sure what all of these are... :blush2:

Thanks!

You just have to burn something. It'll error out if the lock volume thing comes back as being unsupported.

As for checking versions, you don't!

You just visit the intel site and download the latest ones it offers.

Intel Chipset INF Driver Downloads:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...mp;submit=Go%21

Matrix Storage Driver Downloads:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...mp;submit=Go%21

Because you're running an i875 chipset board, you need the v5.5 version because that's the last one that ran on the ICH5R chipset.

The filter drivers thing is the new feature in the 'Tools' menu within ImgBurn.

I just happened to stumble across this. 8.0.1.1002 of the INF chipset software installation utility. That worked for this board and you directed me to it on Major Geeks or something like that. But, the last version listed on Intel's page for the D875PBZ board is 6.3.0.1008 dated almost 2 years ago.

Thanks for the links! the 8.1.1 version is newer than mine and I probably wouldn't have found it because Intel's page of downloads for the D875 lists only the 6.3 version.

BTW, LUK, I don't have a RAID setup, just 1 SATA HD installed. Should I still get the RAID/AHCI Software - Intel? Matrix Storage Manager 5.5.0.1035 1/5/2006 software?

Thanks again!

As for when I got the FSCTL LOCK VOLUME, it wasn't during a burn, I don't think. I forget when it was, obviously had to do with something trying to lock the drive for read or write, of course. But, if it was a burn, I'd think I'd have gotten it more often.

That IOCTL is issued at the start of a burn, or at the start of an erase.

Unless it was just a fluke failure, you'd get it on both as it's just a single function in ImgBurn that gets called.

It wasn't on writes, so, it must have been on an erase. And, it was fluke like :) in that it would show up here and there.

better to just do a clean install with an updated slipstreamed cd

where's sp3? durn OS must look like a patchwork quilt even starting with sp2

long ago and far away I clean installed xp pro sp1, defragged then applied sp2 admin and looked at it thru defrag

what a mess

Edited by chewy

Looks like I will probably have to do just that. I knew I had to restore back to what I call the Basic Systems Install, which is the entire execution of a massive TXT file of instructions of what to install and settings to set from a bottom up restore of the factory default partition. Things were looking well until I converted to NTFS. Goddamn shit, I hate it! Ever since I've converted, disc scans find two unusued partitions and random errors in the files and descriptors that appear in Windows but not in the scan before Windows starts. I'm a tad worried it's a FAT problem, but, how can I fix it if it only shows up in Windows and NTFS is not accessible outside of Windows? :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.