BUG: NOD32 woes, when downloading and installing ImgBurn

olger901

Hi all,

I do not really know if it is either a bug of NOD32 or a bug of ImgBurn, but would like to report it anyway, because the rising of CPU usage, can sometimes occur because of security bugs, and potentionally lead to DoS attacks. Every time ImgBurn finishes downloading from a website (to update), or whenever I run the installation of ImgBurn, all of the processor usage suddenly goes to nod32krn.exe and have to kill nod32krn.exe to be able to let the installation continue. (The exact moments it occurs on is when the download finishes at 100% (using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3; it just hangs) and when the copying of the files start during the installation process.)

Edited by olger901

• 2 weeks later...

That's right...it happens when NOD tries to UnPack an exe compressed with an exe packer (like Imgburn's). It is a necessory feature as a packed exe may contain a virus. So NOD is just doing what it is supposed to do. And only after its done, it allows you to open the file.

NOD32 and Imgburn, both are great piece of softwares and both know very well how to do the thing they are supposed to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone posted this in that Nod32 forum? I went there and didn't see anything relating to this. I would be most interested to see their response as I am considering NOD32 when my Norton 2005 NAV service runs out.

• 6 months later...

Initial problem was IMON, something about how all apps hook the internet API and conflict with each other, so they advised me to disable it until 3 came out. 3 isn't much better although the interface looks nice. They are ripping us Win2003 users off too. They changed their licensing, so now when I need to renew in 2009 it will cost me $215 instead of $50 just for a year...If I want my 2yr again it will run me $325! Hopefully something better comes out by then or they get their head out of their crack...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.