Strange Filenames on PS2.

therock003

There's an application on playstation 2 that reads divx-xvid files from dvd-r media.Since i dropped nero and started using imgburn to burn my discs,the ps2 program (sms -simple media station) can't read the filenames correctly.What could be wrong?The author can figure something out,but it surely is something (probably some option or seting) inside imgburn that causes it to not read filenames correctly.I use build and iso9960 + udf as filesystem.

General message to everyone

even if you've never had a problem with an older version before , consider that;

LUK works his nuts off trying to improve the program and adds features to it

the whole beta team burn hundreds of discs and spends loads of time trying to find problems with any new version before LUK releases it

YOU as the end user should'nt suffer to many problems with any new release,and IF you do, rest assured LUK will be on the case ASAP as will all the beta team

WE dont support older versions of the program, only the current version

bottom line is, no one does all of the above just for the fun of it :thumbup: so take advantage and use the latest version

Ok here's the original filenames under windows

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.pichub.com/goframe.html?id=4777"></script>

and here's under sms

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.pichub.com/goframe.html?id=4776"></script>

EDIT:This is the embedded link the service provides,just copy paste the http:// part into your browser.

Edited by therock003

That happens because SMS (even the latest version) doesn't support the UDF filesystem.

Since your disc has both ISO9660 + UDF filesystems, SMS reads the ISO9660 filesystem, which is limited to 8 characters. To solve this problem, go to the Options tab in ImgBurn and change the File System to ISO9660 + Joliet. This way your files/folders can have up to 64 characters in their names.

Are you sure,cause some guy at the sms forums said tht he burns his compilations in ud and it works fine.

With joliet what limitations do i have compared to udf,and what can be done as far as my previous discs go(the ones already burned in (iso+udf)?

If UDF worked, it wouldn't be displaying the ISO9660 filenames.

Joliet is limited to 64 chars in the filename - unless of course you relax the restrictions.

You can also do that for ISO9660.

It's really just down to you to figure out what works/looks best.

You can't do anything with the discs you've already burnt - unless they're rewritables. Live with them or throw them in the bin.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK!

Joliet is limited to 64 chars in the filename - unless of course you relax the restrictions.

Why does the 64-character restrictionb occur,and filenames longer than that get truncated?

I just found a dvd of mine with mp3 media and i have some tracks with filenames longer than that!

For example 2004-12-31.DJ.Tiesto_-_Live_From_NYE_Palladium_Hollywood_USA_SAT-HLSMP3.mp3 which has a total of 71 characters and has been burnt into a dvd with iso+joliet filesystem and the name wasn't truncated.

Cause thing is i do have some files with crazy filenames exceeding 64 characters and i do not want to mess them up.

Edited by therock003

If UDF worked, it wouldn't be displaying the ISO9660 filenames.

You can also do that for ISO9660.

It's really just down to you to figure out what works/looks best.

You can't do anything with the discs you've already burnt - unless they're rewritables. Live with them or throw them in the bin.

What do you mean by relax the restrictions,how do i do that?

Also another strange thing happens burning with this filesystem under imgburn.

Inside the directories i can see the contents of the next folder as well!Y?

Okay restrictions done.

Example lets say i have a disc with 3 folders, "1","2" and "3" respectively.

"1" contains "1.avi"

"2" contains "2.avi"

and "3" contains "3.avi"

The new discs i've burn with iso+joilet,when i'll browse the folder via sms i will see inside folder "1" the files "1.avi" and "2.avi",inside folder "2" i will see "2.avi" and "3.avi" and inside folder "3" i will see only "3.avi"

which honestly messes things up.If my example is not understood i'll try post a screen,but i guess that it was clear.

No in windows they seem fine,and it's not a feature in sms,a bug maybe,because only these new discs behave like that.The only time i had no problems was when i burnt with nero.When i started using imgburn first i had the udf incompatibillity,which resulted in truncated filenames on the sms end,and now i have that directory issue.Still i prefer imgburn ,that's y i'm looking for a solution rather than switching back to nero!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.