dual layer - in general / and LB positions

maques

[suggestion1: there should be a non-imgburn topic here, as many thread don't closely relate to imgburn "problems", but drive, disk, etc. problems and questions - like this]

I'm wondering what is other people's experience with the playability of disks, dual layer/layer break wise.

I'm creating an own, it is approx 6.3GB (~3.000.000 sectors) - I made 4.7 version too, but I'm the kind of a guy who likes to live on the edge.

Also already got 30pcs of fullprint Ricoh DVD+DL, no problems with the drive or disk, details see below.

If I understand correctly, a "seamless" master means that there is no LB info in the IFO files, and ImgBurn usually says somehting like this on the disk:

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_02)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video specification" criteria for a potential layer break position."

Besides that I didn't see any problem with none of my players.

(For the record: Yamada DVX-6700 - approx 3 years old, LG RH199S - approx 6 months old).

I could skip-skip-skip to the end, and playing seemed fine, when I left it unattended it played at the end, and returned to the menu, no freeze or eject or so.

Then I decided to find out where is the layer break and watch that part closely (instead of watch the whole 130 minutes...)

I calculated the timecode position of the LB based on the

Layer 0 Sectors, Title and Cell (chapter) Starts/Finish sectors (with IFOEdit) and calculated at which second the LB position is in that Cell (chapter). If it is not a fixed bit rate, you can only get an approximate value, but it will be close to it.

Any utility which does it for me automatically?

(Suggestion2: ImgBurn should/could...?)

So I got Chapter 5 / 3:06 and I played the disk first in the Yamada skipping to chapter 5.

At 02:44 I noticed the time counter to "hold-on" for 1-2 secs, then video continued, but sound stopped. After a skip to chapter 6, sound restored.

I then checked LG RHS 199S at the same position, everything looked fine (no any notice of layer switching).

Then I tried Yamada again, but this time it played the disk fine too. Then I tried it several more times, powering off the player, but I was never be able to reproduce the issue.

[i also found a player on which the disk didn't play, but because it didn't support DVD+ at all... (I'm wondering what was the earliest, standard DVD+ 4.7 or DVD-DL, eg.: which is the more likely with older player, a) they don't play +s, or B) they don't play DL-s...)]

---

Then as Lightning UK suggested, I did an ImgBurn Build/Write, selected an offered LB (wasn't too much choice - should I have entered one manually instead somewhere???).

Then I ended up some more thing I don't understand...

First, the 6.3GB "seem to" became like 8GB, eg.: 4.047.424 sectors (was approx: 3.000.000) with LB at 2.023.712.

I guess that would be some kind of a pad, but where is the "pad" area and what is on in?

Also, ImgBurn says;

LBA: (green star) 2023712 (50/50%)

VTS_02

LU: N/A, PGC:1, Chapter 1, Cell 1, V/C ID 1/1,

start time: 00:00:00, SPLIP: No

So where is my LB now, in Carmen, San Diego? :-)

(I mean timewise. According to IFOEDIT and excel, it is in T2/C8 ~3:00). That would mean, that there is much more data on L0 than before, then padding could only be on L1, which I don't understand why, so I assume I go totally wrong somewhere.

Can somone kick me into the right direction?

---

And just for the record, used drive and media:

Drive Information:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N RB00 (ATA)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

Edited by maques

Posting on the Doom9 forum would have been fine, I just didn't want it in a PM!

The disc being seamless / non seamless has nothing to do with that "This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc." message.

That only pops up if none of the cells start on an LBA that's divisible (exactly) by 16 whilst still meaning that L0 >= L1.

Every player is different when it comes to playing back a DL disc. Some will stop dead if the LB isn't correctly positioned along with appropriate flags in the IFO, other will sail on by without a care in the world.

If there aren't many cells in your source files (well, the VTS that's around the middle of the disc), you won't get many options in the LB dialog window. If you look at the window properly you'll see it specifically mentions 'Padding' and tells you how many sectors will be added. The padding area comes before all the files on the disc.

As for asking where your LB is now.... erm well it's exactly where that dialog window says! It tells you the LBA, the VTS set, the PGC, the chapter and the cell. Along with the 'time' within that PGC. The only thing it doesn't do is translate that into a 'title' number.

That LB window will not show you positions that aren't allowed so no matter which one you pick, L0 will always be >= L1. (the 50/50 % is a bit of a giveaway!)

[suggestion1: there should be a non-imgburn topic here, as many thread don't closely relate to imgburn "problems", but drive, disk, etc. problems and questions

Well this IS the ImgBurn support forum , and most problems people encounter are when they have or are using ImgBurn, so the Support. General or Chat forums would get you an answer to these questions

eg.: which is the more likely with older player, a) they don't play +s, or B) they don't play DL-s...)]

older players usually play +R or ROM . But its about buying players that all play everything to give complete compatability, same as buying players that will all play your favoured brand of media

And just for the record, used drive and media:

Drive Information:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N RB00 (ATA)

Theres an RB01 firmware update for that drive if its an internal one

[

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67

for dual layer DV9 , ONLY use verbatim , nothing else is as reliable

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.