image file layer break problem

Sliztzan

I have a ISO/MDS DVD-9 image file set. I attempted to burn with ImgBurn and it said the image

file was not in the correct format for burning to a dual layer DVD. It also mentioned something about

the layer break. There was a message box that popped up and I could proceed with the burn or

cancel the burn. I cancelled it and then mounted the image and ripped a new iso/mds. The same

thing happened so I ripped the files to a video_ts folder and used imgburn to burn it that way.

So that worked correctly and gave me an option to select a layer break.

What I would like to know is that if I had told it to go ahead and burn the DVD the first time

I got that error message, what would have happened? I'm sure it would have burned it fine

and I just don't understand that message and what it really means. Could you explain please?

Thanks very much.

From the changelog:

• Fixed: Incorrect signature matching (due to new FAT16/FAT32 file system detection code) on some images made them look odd sizes and have weird sector modes/sizes.

Please post the log from your failed burn attempt(s) (you can find it at Help/ImgBurn logs).

Why wouldn't I want to check that?

Checking it means the disc you create breaks the DVD Video specs. Not all players can cope with such discs and could just hang at the layer break point.

The same is true of the disc you'd have created had you have not taken the image back to the raw files and instead just burnt it as-is, ignoring the warning message that it wasn't built for (OTP) DVD+R DL.

did you use dvdshrink

why would I use dvd shrink to burn a dvd9 when I have imgburn?

he wasn't asking if you going to burn it with shrink, he meant did you create the original iso with shrink, if so , as blu said , it messes up the layer break

It wasn't made with shrink thanks. Spinningwheel, I posted a question to understand the features of layer break options. There is no reason to post a log file which I don't have. If you read my post again you'll see I solved the problem by taking the image file back to the raw files so a layer break was correctly made to dvd specs.

What I don't understand is creating a layer bread from the vob files which is also a option checkbox.

You do have the log. See the Help menu.

The guides explain how to set the layer break.

As for your original question, it seems the ISO has been mastered incorrectly. Contrary to your thoughts, if you had have gone ahead, I expect a coaster would have been the result. The message (which you refuse to explicitly say, nor provide a log so we can actually determine what it really was), was probably (hazarding a guess now) that there is no cell that obeys the DVD specs for setting a layer break. You may google what they are.

Regards

thanks though, that log is long gone. It was a pop up message box telling me the image wasn't made correctly as Lightning recognized earlier in this thread. Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, but what you mentioned about no cell being a proper break would make sense. Thank you.

Edited by Sliztzan

I forgot to mention the log you wanted. I already did look at the help menu and looked at the log the last time you asked. The log only shows the current image file I created. Next time I'll make sure to grab it when I get that message again. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced the same issue when using DVDfab HD Decrypter to rip the movie. Not every time, just occasionally.

I'll look back through the log file to see if I can find an instance of this occurring.

Edit:

Here is the Log File:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 31 October 2007, 18:11:46

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 18:10:50 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 18:10:50 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:10:50 Total Physical Memory: 515,452 KB - Available: 180,724 KB

I 18:10:50 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:10:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:10:50 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW!

I 18:11:28 Operation Started!

I 18:11:28 Source File: G:\PRINCESS_BRIDE_SE.iso

I 18:11:28 Source File Sectors: 4,096,245 (MODE1/2048)

I 18:11:28 Source File Size: 8,389,109,760 bytes

I 18:11:28 Source File Volume Identifier: PRINCESS_BRIDE_SE

I 18:11:28 Source File Application Identifier: DVDFAB

I 18:11:28 Source File Implementation Identifier: FENGTAO SOFTWARE

I 18:11:28 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 18:11:28 Destination Device: [1:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5540A 2.01 (D:) (ATA)

I 18:11:28 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-001-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x)

I 18:11:28 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 18:11:28 Write Mode: DVD

I 18:11:28 Write Type: DAO

I 18:11:28 Write Speed: 2.4x

I 18:11:28 Link Size: Auto

I 18:11:28 Test Mode: No

I 18:11:28 BURN-Proof: Enabled

E 18:11:41 Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_08)

E 18:11:42 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:13

I 18:11:42 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

I 18:11:45 Close Request Acknowledged

I 18:11:45 Closing Down...

I 18:11:46 Shutting down SPTI...

I 18:11:46 ImgBurn closed!

Edited by Sweet_Jaws

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.