ISO from Dual Layer DVD Video has no MDS file

Sliztzan

Hello and thanks again for ImgBurn :thumbup:

The ISO is from a DL DVD Video and does not include a MDS file. If I burn it as is, I'm sure it will play fine. Past ones have. However, from things I've read here I understand a image that requires a DL DVD should have the MDS file so the layer break information will be up to spec.

But just creating a MDS file for the ISO file isn't good enough correct?

Should I extract the files from the ISO and make a new ISO with ImgBurn so I can select the break?

Also a question about the layer break regarding same image. It gives me two options if I were to burn it using the image only. One has the Good (Gold Star) rating but no SPLIP and the other is Average and yes SPLIP. From a thread I read here describing SPLIP is that a yes means seamless. However I read in the guide for creating a DL ISO on your Hard Drive that the one with the no SPLIP should be selected which had a Blue Star. The other ones were the Gray Star with a yes in SPLIP. It would be nice for the break to be virtually seamless and isn't that indicated by the yes in SPLIP? Which should I choose?

Edited by Sliztzan

If it's an image, just assume the one with SPLIP = false to be the original LB. So basically that's the one you should select.

ImgBurn is better now at finding the LB without the need for the MDS - but it's still not perfect.

In your case however, it appears to have worked just fine.

There is no way for anyone other than you to know which is the best one for the job, every project is different. Of course not every project will have the same options or colours of stars available so don't think you must follow EXACTLY what was done in the guide.

The whole idea of the 'preview' button is so you can look through the choices and make an informed decision.

If it's an image, just assume the one with SPLIP = false to be the original LB. So basically that's the one you should select.

ImgBurn is better now at finding the LB without the need for the MDS - but it's still not perfect.

In your case however, it appears to have worked just fine.

There is no way for anyone other than you to know which is the best one for the job, every project is different. Of course not every project will have the same options or colours of stars available so don't think you must follow EXACTLY what was done in the guide.

The whole idea of the 'preview' button is so you can look through the choices and make an informed decision.

Ok understood and thank you. I read in another thread while searching for answers that you can't select the layer break when burning a ISO to DVD, that you are only able to display them from the tools/ISO menu. So what does it do when it burns the ISO to Disc if two options for layer break are displayed? This is the same ISO I mentioned in post #1

Edited by Sliztzan

That thread must have been an old one as clearly it's no longer true!

The thing is, obviously you can't move files within an ISO, so unless some cells are already aligned correctly, you're stuck. Fair enough, in such cases you wouldn't get the layer break selection screen pop up.

If the program can't find any when the files are in an ISO, I would recommend you rebuild the image by extracting the files from the image and then using Build mode.

As you've been given options and you're burning an ISO, just select one of them and get on with burning it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.