Can't burn DVD+R Dual Layer Data Disc - No Matter What!

homerpez

I am desperately trying to build and burn a DVD+R DL data disc with Imgburn, and so far... I get the same coasters that I'm getting in every other program.

I add the folders under the "build" menu, and I click the calculator (which I thought was supposed to allow you to set where you want the Layer break to be... it doesn't). It tells me I need a DVD+R DL disk, which I'm using...

So, without the option to choose a layer break manually, I click "Auto" and generate the ISO/MDS files... then i go to "Write" and attempt to burn the DVD+R DL disc from the ISO/MDS files.

Every single solitary time, the disc stops at exactly 50% (the point of the break), with an I/O Device error.

The burner is a Philips SPD7000BD (blu-ray burner, but also supports DVD+R DL). Media is Memorex DVD+R DL (though it looks like RIDATA manufactured them)

What do I need to be doing to generate a proper Data ISO, WITH the breaks in the proper place???

I'm on my 10th coaster. :'(

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by homerpez

Get Verbatim DVD+R DLs 2.4x and you'll have no problems at all :)

By the way, you can build directly to your burner (go to Output menu then click Device) and the layerbreak for data discs is automatically calculated (you only need to choose one if you're dealing with DVD-Video content).

Get Verbatim DVD+R DLs 2.4x and you'll have no problems at all :)

By the way, you can build directly to your burner (go to Output menu then click Device) and the layerbreak for data discs is automatically calculated (you only need to choose one if you're dealing with DVD-Video content).

You have no idea how happy I am to hear this... especially after buying 50 of the Memorex's. >_<

Is it supposed to offer me a chance to choose where the layer should be? Or is that only for Video DVD's? It shows no confirmation or window when I click the calculator... so I can't tell if it's made a layer break or not...

What I'm trying to do - if it helps any - is to burn some rather large .mkv files to one DL disc... and as I said, not one success so far. :(

I guess I can try to get some Verbatim's... though... this seems VERY consistant, always at EXACTLY 50%. Wouldn't bad disc have errors at random points? (I'm not too well schooled on this). I would hate to believe that I have (now) 40 DL discs that will just go to waste...

It might be hard to believe but only Verbatim DVD+R DLs give consistently good results (don't get the Made in India ones).

If you can't return your Memorex discs or exchange them for Verbatims, try these steps (but don't hold me responsible for the burn quality on those discs :)):

• make sure your burner is using the latest firmware available (in ImgBurn go to Tools/Drive/Check For Firmware Upgrade);
  • try different burning speeds (2.4x is preferred);
  • try burning with a different burner;
  • always have the Verify option enabled, as it ensures that the disc was properly burnt.

As for the layer break you don't need to worry about that: if it needs, ImgBurn will ask you where to put it; in all other cases it's calculated automatically.

It might be hard to believe but only Verbatim DVD+R DLs give consistently good results (don't get the Made in India ones).

If you can't return your Memorex discs or exchange them for Verbatims, try these steps (but don't hold me responsible for the burn quality on those discs :)):

• make sure your burner is using the latest firmware available (in ImgBurn go to Tools/Drive/Check For Firmware Upgrade);
  • try different burning speeds (2.4x is preferred);
  • try burning with a different burner;
  • always have the Verify option enabled, as it ensures that the disc was properly burnt.

As for the layer break you don't need to worry about that: if it needs, ImgBurn will ask you where to put it; in all other cases it's calculated automatically.

Well.....

- The burner DOES have the latest firmware...

- it will ONLY burn at 2.4x (so this is a given)...

- I have tried DL burns (failed ones) on my other machine, which has a Memorex DVD+/-DLRWLl1 F16 burner, also with latest firmware. That one doesn't seem to work with Imgburn AT ALL... (though with other programs, I get the same layer break problem)

- Verify option WAS enabled... it verified that my disc was stuck at 50% :P

So... it really looks like it may be the discs... how on earth are they able to claim they work, sell them for ungodly sums, and they simply... don't work? I guess I need to invest some more hard-earned funds in the Verbatim discs... probably at 2x the cost of what I already just paid. **sigh** (EDIT: just checked... and it's actually WAY more) :(

And EDIT again... got the Memorex drive to work with Imgburn... and .... again, I/O error. Apparently, all these discs are garbage. I dug ONE disc from the BOTTOM of the stack of 50, and so far that is the only one I can get close to working.... and even THAT one broke down while trying to finalize the disc (yet another I/O error, and the drive is making horrible noises). :/

Verbatims it is, I guess (or maybe TDK)

Edited by homerpez

amazing. Just amazing.

I got my Verbatim discs in today, 20 of them...

I now have one successful burn, verified. 0/20 coasters. (These were the "Made in India" ones, but seem to also have good enough quality control).

Thanks for the tip on the Verbatims.... you weren't kidding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.