Nintendo speak about Wii shortages

dontasciime

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2236586,00.asp

Nintendo Says Wii Shortages Hurt Planning

Total posts: 1

by Reuters

REDMOND, Washington - Nintendo Co Ltd is having trouble planning for the coming months because of shortages of its Wii video game console, and the company is also seeing signs of higher-than-expected demand for its DS handheld device, a top U.S. executive said on Monday.

"The level of demand we are facing complicates all of our future business planning," Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, told Reuters in an interview. "All of that becomes a much tougher exercise until we have supply and demand curves that intersect."

The DS has been the best-selling piece of gaming hardware this year, moving 1.5 million units in November, according to market research firm NPD.

"The DS continues to perform exceptionally well, with some retailers voicing concerns about DS inventory going into the holiday," Fils-Aime said.

Nintendo, which is striving to meet Wii demand more than a year after the machine first went on sale, was also trying to discourage the practice of bundling the consoles with extra games or accessories and selling it for a higher price.

A Wii by itself sells for $250—cheaper than Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox 360 and Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation 3—but some retailers have offered bundles priced for double that price.

"Retailers have already been given feedback that we are not big fans of that. We think it masks some of the price advantage we have versus our competition and, frankly, the consumer should decide what they want," Fils-Aime said.

Asked if Nintendo had threatened such retailers with fewer Wii shipments, Fils-Aime said only that the company carried a lot of weight as maker of one of the most highly sought items this holiday season.

"We don't have to remind retailers of the strength we have right now. We are simply making an observation and that reinforces our point quite nicely with retailers," Fils-Aime said.

Nintendo's top priority was to satisfy Wii demand because the issue was an obstacle to future plans, Fils-Aime said.

Unable to accurately forecast how many Wiis will be sold in the coming months, Nintendo is finding it difficult to plan for new games, such as "Wii Fit," an upcoming physical exercise game that uses a pressure-sensitive board.

"We at Nintendo America are focused on getting to the point when any consumer can walk into any of our retailers and find a Wii. Then we can plan, on an ongoing basis, the rest of the business," Fils-Aime said.

He said he had high expectations for Nintendo's recent Wii game "Super Mario Galaxy," which some analysts said had strong but not spectacular first-month sales despite being one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time.

The game sold 1.1 million copies in the United States in November, but fell short of marks set by other blockbuster titles such as Microsoft's "Halo 3," which sold 3.3 million copies in its first month.

"Galaxy will have extremely long life and will have extremely large numbers throughout that entire life," Fils-Aime said. "Mark my words, look in six months and no one will have any remembrance that it 'only' did one million copies in its first month."

Copyright Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

What a load of BULL.

They can make enough if they want to. They are purposely making just enough to make a huge profit and artificially limit the amount that go on sale to keep the hype/buzz going as long as they can. You always want something when it appears to be just out of reach.

It sure is strange with the Wii. People say its bad them selling so many as sales will peak in 2 years and they will be overtaken by the next gen boxes.

Then again, if the Wii didn't sell people would ask why it was brought out. If Nintendo build up a strong following with the Wii then bring out a next gen box with backward compatibility in a few years it would be a hard combo to beat imho.

You're probably right donta - its all about marketing...

Nintendo are doing this on purpose I think and therefore agree with Donta. You don't expect me to believe that a year on from the mad scenes last year they still can't increase production enough ?

I also read how last year Nintendo stalled delivery after Xmas of new stock so as to have them on the shelves in time for their new financial year - hence boosting profits ;)

My son just turned 16 and all he talked about was a Wii. It took me three weeks of searching the web and checking with retailers in the area and I finally bought one a week before his birthday.

I agree with the rest of you that Nintendo is scamming the retail marketplace, it can't be that hard to program and assemble a chipset that goes into a gamebox that is the size of an external HDD. I was surprised at how small the system really is but I figured if it's what he wanted..... :rolleyes: ...I'd find it somewhere. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.