POWER CALLIBRATION/ FIXATION ERROR !!!

kabster

Hi,

First i like to say that its not the fault of img burn wotsoever because;...

Ive put together an AMD 64 Bit system and x64 (server 20003 edition) system. I was realy dissapointed to have made 3 a 4 coasters using VERBATIM +R Dual Layer noless. On both devices samsung SH203P = sata and liteon 20A1P . A problem of this magnitude i never ever have had on my old rigg. 4 Dual layers no less gone to waste >_< ..

Now, like i said it cant be imgburn. I just have taken out that liteon device out of my new rigg into my old rigg again to see if its an hardware problem rather than a software=imgburn problem!! And voila for the first time i <burn that very same media from that very same spindel at 4x throug my liteon just fine. In my new rigg it gave me 3 coasters noless one after another fixation this callibration that. Ive many threads regarding power management and connecting the cable proper and assigning the right devices an slave / master possition. But wot i like to know to narrow things down. Coud it be that my new motherboard is saving on power more or less. I have the possibility to run my northbridge on marely 1.2 volt ?

I cant think of any other possible cause then maybe my psu wich isnt sufficient!!!!! But then again the psu is an 480Watt and i only need 295 watt at most calculated on a site based on my hardware addons!!!!

Wot cauld cause an bad burns aswell??

Hi,

First i like to say that its not the fault of img burn wotsoever because;...

Ive put together an AMD 64 Bit system on a x64 (server 20003 edition) operating system. I was realy dissapointed to have made 3 a 4 coasters using VERBATIM +R Dual Layer noless. On both devices samsung SH203P = sata and liteon 20A1P . A problem of this magnitude i never ever have had on my old rigg. 4 Dual layers no less gone to waste >_< ..

Now, like i said it cant be imgburn. I just have taken out that liteon device out of my new rigg into my old rigg again to see if its an hardware problem rather than a software=imgburn problem!! And voila for the first time i was able to burn that very same media from that very same spindel at 4x throug my liteon just fine. In my new rigg it gave me 3 coasters noless one after another fixation this callibration that. Ive read many threads regarding power management and connecting the cable proper and assigning the right devices as slave / master possition.

But wot i like to know to narrow things down. Coud it be that my new motherboard is saving on power more or less. I have the possibility to run my northbridge on marely 1.2 volt ?

I cant think of any other possible cause other then maybe my new psu is malfunctioning !!!!! But then again the psu is an 480Watt and i only need 295 watt at most calculated on a site based on my hardware addons!!!!

Wot cauld cause an bad burns aswell??

greetings,

kabster,

Edited by kabster

OMFG :mellow: APPEARANTLY IVE PURCHASED THE WURRRSSSTTT BATCH OF DL VERBATIMS EVER MADE GOOD GRIEF!!!!

I ENCOUNTERD ANOTHER POWER CALLIBRATION ERROR USING MY OLD RIGG AGAIN!!!! THIS IS RIDICULUS WHO CLAIMS VERBATIM IS N°1 UNO!!!!!

ITS GOING DOWN THE HILL FOR THEM LATELY NO SHIT !!!!!!!!! FIRST AN BAD BATCH OF 50 DISC SPINDEL DVD+R 4.7 TY03 FEW WEEKS BACK NOW THIS OMFGOD!!!!

SO THIS IS CLEARLY POOR MEDIA I WOUD SAY!!!!! :pirate:

AND WHEN I DO WRITE AN FULL DUAL LAYER FROM THAT BATCH THE QUALITY IS HORRIBLE JUST HORRIFIC ACCORDING TO CDSPEED AND MY STAND ALONE PLAYER WICH PERFORMS SPLENDID ON OTHER BACKUPS BTW!!!!

Edited by kabster

what's your motherboard model and the sata chipset it's running

if it's jmicron, try their newest drivers

HI chewy,

My mobo is a MSI Nvidia NForce 6 series chipset ms-7349 K9NGM3 (new rigg)

old rigg mobo = Asus A7N8X

Its safe to say its NOT mobo related, ive managed to reproduce the very same annoyance on both IDE channel from those mobos and SATA2 so.....

Also, ive especialy moved my old silicon pci-sata2 card to my new mobo for the simple reason i couldnt else use all commands on my samsung like bitsetting and for stability in other test software!!

The first disc i tried from that spindel i used on my sata sh-203P samsung. It took 6 min and counting for the lens to perform an OPC optimal power callibration untill i aborted everything before it actually started to write to prevent another coaster give the time it took to just use its OPC strategy for christ sake!! Ive had an few times thos terrible long wait times, it didnt even get to the part where it sets its layerbreak info!!!!

But eventualy it managed to accept the disc an wrote it until end. Ive looked to the surface of one coaster and towards the outer parity i saw an HUG SPOT washed out dark SPOT LIKE so this must be the result of an very POOR BATCH! Then i tried my liteon and it emediatly gave me an Callibration error in mids of writing procedure at the very start when climbing to its given write speed!!! The few i could write al the way to the end were awfull bad burned but playable in stand alone!!!

Are they made in India >?

Hi dontasciime,

I know wot u mean, from now on i check these things! And it puzzles me that even whit Singapore labeled Mitshubishi Kagaku spindels i have problems. The kind of spindels whit wich we shouldnt have problems!!!!

I guess its back to those days searching for the best suitable media for my drive!!

Iam realy dissapointed in Verbatim not to mention ripped !

kabster

post-9311-1202947968_thumb.png

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...l2=13&l3=56

I had this model, the nforce ide drivers sucked, default sp2's were fine

sata on the board was bad till I got a new sil 3112 driver from sil(still won't do dvd burners)

the newer nforce board may have the same issues with nforce drivers for ide emulation?

donta would know best?

I cant speak for my new rig, too early to say anything. But my Samsung is hooked on an Sil3512 card whit an recent released x64-bit driver from silicon site. And if it werre an nforce issue i woud have burned hundreds of DL coaster on my 6 -7 year old A7N8X rigg. But the truth is ive burned DL's just Amazingly perfect before at 4x whit cd quality scans of total amount of only arround 400 PIF"'s yes MAX TOTALL AMOUNT of arround 400 PIF's and arround 22000 PIE'"s wich is ridiculus GOOD LOW error scan

Edit: almost forgot to mention, my old mobo is a A7N8X non-deluxe = no sata onboard

LooK at this :thumbup:

post-9311-1202957816_thumb.png

Edited by kabster

I am seeing the same degradation in quality for single layer verbatim disks, they are ramping up production and cutting costs and trying to just get by. Of course the last ones I bought were on sale for 20 cents apeice(16x dvd +r mcc004)

The first disc i tried from that spindel i used on my sata sh-203P samsung. It took 6 min and counting for the lens to perform an OPC optimal power callibration untill i aborted everything

That to me is a sign the drive / how it is connected / to what it is connected is not playing nice getting stuck and not reporting back properly.

Could be media is total crap but I would be reinstalling my operating system and on a clean system with standard ms drivers to deal with sata and the ide then testing the drive with the chipset drivers in MINUS the storage driver from any Nforce driver release.

You should also if you want hassle free useage in the bios make sure AHCI is not being used and set either to AUTO or manually set to emulate IDE.

The first disc i tried from that spindel i used on my sata sh-203P samsung. It took 6 min and counting for the lens to perform an OPC optimal power callibration untill i aborted everything

That to me is a sign the drive / how it is connected / to what it is connected is not playing nice getting stuck and not reporting back properly.

U woud think its not reporting back proper because of an SATA 2 onboard to device conflict. Well to some degree yes, i had move over my silicon pci from my old rig to my new rig to make fully use of that drive. For one i couldnt use bitset using onboard sata2. But, when it comes down to writing discs the quality was the same . Wheiter i used onboard or pci sata, thus no improvements.

Could be media is total crap

I totaly agree whit ya no question about it.

but I would be reinstalling my operating system and on a clean system with standard ms drivers to deal with sata and the ide then testing the drive with the chipset drivers in MINUS the storage driver from any Nforce driver release.

Wouldnt u rather advise someone to check and dubble check systems drivers first before doing an drastical system re-install in that order!?

In my case reinstall a system is a TOTALL WASTE OF TIME,

1. Just did installed the system a week or so ago and fine tuned/tweaked it.

2.if it were trully an corrupt system i wouldnt be able to write/burn near to perfect quality single layers. Yes near perfect no complaints there wotsoever

3.Duals Failed most of the time on 2 systems!!

You should also if you want hassle free useage in the bios make sure AHCI is not being used and set either to AUTO or manually set to emulate IDE.

lol, thats the first thing i did bEfore i installed anything, is to setup bios propperly. And yes sata is not set to RAID but IDE since i dont have mirrored drives of the same brand size etc...

But, to anyboddy who reads this and using the same pci-sata2 silicon35xx chipset. from my experience, i woud recommend (for once) the m$ drivers for that card over the silicon onsite drivers this time. I noticed considerable quality improvements using M$ drivers.

It doesnt make sense why some one shoudlnt make use of the drivers from the manufacture where the pci card is build!

But i only can speak for single layer i tested as iam out of dual layers after this verbatim farse.

Still, i doubt i woud have wrote/burn good quality Duals out of that misserable BATCH of verbatims mate. Even whit m$ drivers.

Time will tell,

Edited by kabster

have you flashed the 3512 with the latest base bios?

Hi chewy,

Yes , iam currently at 4383 bios. Realy thers nothing wrong whit that card.

And to show the disbelievers again that nothing can be possible wrong whit my whole setup this time.

Fresh made one:

post-9311-1203226013_thumb.png

Edited by kabster

• 3 weeks later...

U woud think its not reporting back proper because of an SATA 2 onboard to device conflict. Well to some degree yes, i had move over my silicon pci from my old rig to my new rig to make fully use of that drive. For one i couldnt use bitset using onboard sata2. But, when it comes down to writing discs the quality was the same . Wheiter i used onboard or pci sata, thus no improvements.

Could be media is total crap

I totaly agree whit ya no question about it.

but I would be reinstalling my operating system and on a clean system with standard ms drivers to deal with sata and the ide then testing the drive with the chipset drivers in MINUS the storage driver from any Nforce driver release.

Wouldnt u rather advise someone to check and dubble check systems drivers first before doing an drastical system re-install in that order!?

In my case reinstall a system is a TOTALL WASTE OF TIME,

1. Just did installed the system a week or so ago and fine tuned/tweaked it.

2.if it were trully an corrupt system i wouldnt be able to write/burn near to perfect quality single layers. Yes near perfect no complaints there wotsoever

3.Duals Failed most of the time on 2 systems!!

lol, thats the first thing i did bEfore i installed anything, is to setup bios propperly. And yes sata is not set to RAID but IDE since i dont have mirrored drives of the same brand size etc...

But, to anyboddy who reads this and using the same pci-sata2 silicon35xx chipset. from my experience, i woud recommend (for once) the m$ drivers for that card over the silicon onsite drivers this time. I noticed considerable quality improvements using M$ drivers.

It doesnt make sense why some one shoudlnt make use of the drivers from the manufacture where the pci card is build!

But i only can speak for single layer i tested as iam out of dual layers after this verbatim farse.

Still, i doubt i woud have wrote/burn good quality Duals out of that misserable BATCH of verbatims mate. Even whit m$ drivers.

Time will tell,

u sure verbatim single layer still good? :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.