31 charactar limit for file data names

Sossity

I would like to make an archive/backup disc of my photos, ( jpgs, tiffs,) & movie files from my digicam, but I was told that for optimal compatibility with both older & newer Macs & PCs & software that any individual files & folders cannot have names that exceed 31 letters. When I bring my folders into the build mode image burn window, I find I cannot edit or rename the folders. I even tried making an image file & mounting it in windows, but I still cannot edit/rename the folders before I burn to an actual disc. Is there anyway I can rename my folders & files before burning to a disc? Is the 31 letter limit critical? I was told that I will run into problems on different systems or software if my file names are 31+ letters. To conform to this limit, I am faced with going into windows explore & counting all the letters of my dated folders & trying to shorten them, so I thought I would just eliminate the folder names altogether, & just leave the dates on them, ( in image burn build mode window ) before burning to my archive disc, to save me counting out letters, & make a corresponding written list on paper that describes the dated folder contents.

Use ISO9660 + Joliet as the filesystem and your disc will be readable by pretty much anything. If there are files with names longer than 64 characters (look in the Log window after clicking the Calculate button) you should then use ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF (revision 1.02) as the filesystem for your disc.

By the way, since you're concerned with compatibility, save yourself future headaches and use high quality media, such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden :thumbup:

what about all the options in the build mode window? there is the advanced tab; with sub tabs; one is restrictions for each file system; ISO9660; which one? level 1-11? level 2-31? or x-219? which character set? standard, DOS or ASCII? do I need to check off any of the 4 boxes below? for Joiliet there is; level 1-64 & x-110, which one? & do I need to check any of the 2 boxes below? & for the UDF tab, do I need to check those boxes? do I need to make the image bootable? if so what settings do I choose for that? do I just leave all the advanced tab options in image burn build mode at the default choices? will it work for my archiving purposes for photos & movie files? so I do not need to try to keep all my folder names to 31 letters or less? will the different file systems I check off deal with the 31+ letters of the folder names & then can I just leave the names I already have alone weather they are 31+ or not?

Do I need to run a disk def rag or run anti spy ware or ad ware programs before I burn backup discs?

Thanks for your help

Sossity

Edited by Sossity

Leave all the other options in their default values, which are already the most compatible. Just remember: ISO9660 + Joliet filesystem supports filenames up to 64 characters, and if you need more than that, use ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF (UDF revision 1.02).

Try with ISO9660 + Joliet first, add your files/folders, click the Calculate button and look in the Log window: if any name is longer than 64 character it'll be shown in the log ;)

in the image burn build mode window, what is the source window & the window below it? do I need to choose the source & a folder? can I use all 3 file type systems? no matter how long the folder names are? in another forum about video editing ( digital FAQ ) I was advised to use all three file systems types when I was asking about burning my digicam movie files, they referred me; to use image burn.

Sossity

Edited by Sossity

does it matter if I use DVD-R or DVD+R? do discs have a shelf life? I have a stack of shiny silver Verbatim Data Life plus DVD-Rs that I got from the supermedia store in 2006, are they still good? can image burn work with newer blue ray & HD DVD discs? what is the best brand/ type of double layer discs to use for backup?

Sossity

Edited by Sossity

Your Verbatim DVD-Rs are probably good and yes, ImgBurn supports HD-DVD and BluRay. For double-layer discs Verbatim DVD+R DLs 2.4x MKM-001-00 Made in Singapore are the best ones to get. Verbatim DVD+R DLs 8x MKM-003-00 are also good if you have a somewhat recent DVD burner. Every other dual-layer brand is hit or miss (mostly miss) ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.