Problems with P35, AHCI, Intel SATA controler and DVR-212

rasha

This does not qualify as a bug for ImgBurn - but since I use it a lot, I'm turning here for support. I have a lot of issues with my SATA Pioneer DVR-212 when it is connected to Intel SATA port on my MSI P35 Neo2-FR. The controller is in AHCI mode, but that particular port is set to not-installed so AHCI does not apply to it. Drive is detected in BIOS and in Windows (Vista 32bit SP1), but will randomly stop in middle of burning or reading - either stop or endlessly spinning - and effectively stays locked up, and ImgBurn also can not shut down because of that. I have another SATA port on a different integrated controller - Marvell 86SE1xxx and if connected to that SATA port, drive does not hard lock. But still it does not feel right - bad burns are often etc. Have the latest BIOS and drive firmware. What I need to ask is if someone has the idea what the exact problem is? An incompatibilty between the drive and the mobo? Issues with Intel P35 chipset, i.e., it's SATA controller - have search for this but nothing really cam up... Or, what I am hoping for is a bad drive? Any help is appreciated - thanks.

P.S. I repeat that this is not an ImgBurn bug - tested InfraRecorder, Nero, and Brasero in Ubuntu 8.04 - all expose same issues. I came here because ImgBurn got my trust as almost flawless piece of software a long ago, and as soon as issues arose I felt that it is a hardware problem.

Update: As I have placed this question also on MSI forums, silence here and there, and also lack of similar problems on the net made me almost sure this is a flaky drive problem - and turned out it was! I went out and bought DVR-215D, and drive is working perfectly fine. This is just for ppl who may come with same issue. And thanks for the great software.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.