Is it advisable to create an iso file before burning a DVD disk?

If you're burning loads of little files, yes. The over head of opening them could mean the buffer empties out.

If you're burning large files, it really shouldn't make any difference.

Does this hold true even for a partition that needs to be defragged, as opposed to an ISO file on a recently defragged partition?

I was under the impression that the buffer activity will be stay more level if the files are on a defragged drive or partition, or if it's just one large file on a partition that hasn't been defragged for awhile.

You're the only one who knows how your system is performing and what the buffers are doing, you really need to make up your own mind.

If you're burning and the main buffer is all over the place and you keep getting buffer recovery messages in the log then you need to rethink things.

If you're burning and the main buffer is all over the place and you keep getting buffer recovery messages in the log then you need to rethink things.

I don't think I've ever seen a buffer recovery message. I've just noticed that the buffer activity seems to remain the most constant (at or near 100% on the bar graph) when an ISO file is the source. My Nero CD-DVD Speed scans are almost always very good to excellent when converting to ISO files first (regardless of whether the media is TY, CMC. or MCC). Whether or not this is a result of my DVD drive or firmware, I can't say. I have noticed that DVDInfopro's scans are almost always better in terms of PIE's and PIF's than Nero's CD-DVD speed (and being a bit of a pessimist, that's why I usually refer to the Nero CD-DVD speed scans :/ ).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.