DVD burn fails with Sony Optiarc drive.

smwurster

I'm trying to burn a DVD ISO to a DVD-R disc, using a Sony Optiarc drive. It fails to write some sectors and complains about "No Additional Sense Information". I updated the firmware on the drive to what I believe is the latest. And I believe I have the latest drivers for my motherboard (Asus P5N-MX). Still no luck. Judging from other posts, it appears to be a hardware/driver problem, but I'm not sure which parts may be causing the problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem? The log is below. Thanks!

;

I 21:20:35 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 21:20:35 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:20:35 Total Physical Memory: 1,964,508 KB - Available: 1,568,752 KB

I 21:20:35 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:20:35 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:20:35 Found 1 DVD

Hi and welcome to the forum, smwurster! :)

Sure you haven't attached that SATA writer to a jmicron connection? Those normally don't like to deal with ATAPI devices such as your writer.

It's the latest firmware you have installed.

Sure you haven't attached that SATA writer to a jmicron connection? Those normally don't like to deal with ATAPI devices such as your writer.

Hmm, not sure. How do I tell if it's a JMicron connection? You're talking about the underlying chipset here, right? As far as I know, all 4 SATA ports on the board are run by the same NVidia chipset. All are being used, too, as I have 3 hard disks and the DVD writer installed. Two of the disks are setup for RAID 1 (mirroring), so I cannot move those around. Could it be that since the SATA mode is RAID (as opposed to IDE or AHCI) this is causing a problem for the DVD writer?

Optical drives don't really like anything other than ATA/IDE mode - and on top of that they're quite fussy about drivers (especially on nvidia chipset boards)

You could always get yourself a Silicon Image 3512 PCI card and run the drive off that. You can pick them up for about

• 3 months later...

Hi, for your info i am also suffering the same problem, i have a sony optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S running on an ASUS P5ND mobo. It is a fairly new system with the latest drivers, i have used various discs including RITEC and the only ones that seem to work ok are DVD+RW. (but not DVD-RW)

The strange thing is (as you can see from the ImgBurn Log) is that if i keep hitting the retry button, after "retrying 119" the disc burn't fine and finished. It also plays perfectly.

I originaly thought it was a problem with dvd decrypter and the new Optiarc, but, obviously not !

I 15:58:08 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:58:08 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:58:08 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,596 KB - Available: 957,472 KB

I 15:58:08 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:58:08 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:58:08 Found 4 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

Thanks for the advice Lightning, however !

Acting on your advice, I popped out and bought some verbatim DVD-R and have just had the same problem (except i only had to hit retry 33 times before it stared to burn the disc). once again i have ended up with a perfect copy.

How bizzare !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.