.TXTDT file?

dbminter

Found a new file in the root of a DVD movie disc. It had the extension of TXTDT. TXT makes me think text :) so is it some kind of file that contains title info, etc. for specific player functions?

I loaded the file and it is plain text containing this:

DVD_TEXT_DATA

Version = 1.0

TEXT_DATA_ID = ""

Num_Lang_Units = 1

[unit.1]

Language = English

Character_Set = ISO_646

$ Volume

@ name

YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW THIS!

@ sorting

you don't need to know this!

$ Title #1

@ name

Title 1

@ sorting

title 1

$ Title #2

@ name

Title 2

@ sorting

title 2

$ Title #3

@ name

Title 3

@ sorting

title 3

$ Title #4

@ name

Title 4

@ sorting

title 4

$ Title #5

@ name

Title 5

@ sorting

title 5

$ Title #6

@ name

Title 6

@ sorting

title 6

$ Title #7

@ name

Title 7

@ sorting

title 7

$ Title #8

@ name

Title 8

@ sorting

title 8

$ Title #9

@ name

Title 9

@ sorting

title 9

$ Title #10

@ name

Title 10

@ sorting

title 10

$ Title #11

@ name

Title 11

@ sorting

title 11

$ Title #12

@ name

Title 12

@ sorting

title 12

$ Title #13

@ name

Title 13

@ sorting

title 13

DT = DVD_TEXT? If so, what is DVD_TEXT? Again, I'd say it's some kind of info to display on a player's LED screen? Or, TXTDT might mean TEXT DATA? What's with all that weird @ sorting stuff?

Anyone know?

Intro

DVD_Text can hold a bunch of information. See here. Most people will want it to simply show the disc titles for a dvd changer. You can add text when you author with something like Maestro. The intention of this guide is to show how to add the text after the disc has been authored, using some free tools.

If you are comfortable with IFOEdit, this should be a breeze. If you are not, poke around.

Tools/Files

A hexeditor - To add the sector and fix some pointers

IFOEdit - To fix things up and test

This file - It is a sample Text Sector for the IFO file. Ignore the name on the file. It doesn't matter. Right click on the link and "save as" the file.

Outline

Some why of what: DVDs are structured as 2048 byte sectors. The VTS IFO file has a bunch of sections that are usually 1 sector long. They are in a particular order. In order to add text, you need to add a sector. If the text sector is already there, you can just edit it. The file above is a preformatted sector for a 22 char english disc name. If the DVD has a VIDEO_TS.VOB file, you need insert the text sector in the middle of the IFO file. If there is no TS.VOB, you can just add it to the end. After you add the sector, you need to fix the IFO Management table or IFOEdit will be confused. Here is a link with more info.

1. DB, is this of any help? TXTDT is new to me as well, :blink: LUK would know I'm sure........ :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.