Successful burn but 0 byte file

durerca

This has happened twice in the past 4/5 burns I've done of a large file in .mkv format where I build it using UDF file format, I get a successful burn and verify, but then when I explore the DVD's contents, it shows the file I tried to burn as having a 0 byte size and is unplayable.

I've always been able to burn image files with ImgBurn and this same media/burner without problems and have just lately started using ImgBurn to build and burn files as well. I followed the instructions for using the build mode from the Guides section so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong in my setup. I just didn't understand what was causing the problem except maybe an error in the filesystem on the burnt DVD.

Thanks for any help.

ImgBurn.log

Look at the problem discs using something like IsoBuster. What does it show for the size of the file?

I'm downloading IsoBuster now so I'll do a check on the CD once it's done and post the results.

from your log file

E 12:20:53 File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system.

E 12:20:53 Name: C:\Users\John-Charles\Videos\Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.mkv

check out wikipedia especially the section about "Limit on number of directories".

an extract from it reads

"Nero Burning ROM (for Windows) doesn't check whether the problem occurs, and will produce an invalid ISO file or disk without warning"

I dont know if this applicable to your case though, maybe LUK can advise better ?

from your log file

E 12:20:53 File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system.

E 12:20:53 Name: C:\Users\John-Charles\Videos\Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.mkv

check out wikipedia especially the section about "Limit on number of directories".

an extract from it reads

"Nero Burning ROM (for Windows) doesn't check whether the problem occurs, and will produce an invalid ISO file or disk without warning"

I dont know if this applicable to your case though, maybe LUK can advise better ?

That part of the log is when I first added the file when ImgBurn was in ISO_9600+UDF mode because I'd just done a DVD Video, then I switched the file system to UDF and burned it that way onto the disk.

Look at the problem discs using something like IsoBuster. What does it show for the size of the file?

IsoBuster reports the file size as being 4.36GB which is the correct file size and I was also able to extract the file to my hard drive and play it from there ok. So then I checked how Vista was reporting the file and it now shows the correct size of 4.36GB and I was able to play it this time as well.

So what could have caused Vista to originally display the file as having a 0 byte size? I had even ejected the DVD and reinserted it when I originally got the error to see if that was the problem but it came up with 0 bytes again. Only now is it showing the proper size so I'm a bit mystified.

• 2 weeks later...

I've burned some more discs with ImgBurn and found that each time I burn a data DVD with UDF, I will get a 0-byte file showing only. Ejecting the DVD and reinserting it still shows only a 0-byte file. However, once I eject the DVD, insert a different DVD, then replace it with the original one, the file I tried to burn then shows up with its proper file size and I'm able to open it.

I'm not sure if this is ImgBurn's problem, Vista's, or just my computer but I thought I would post this anyway.

Thanks again to the developers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.