Frencho

Hello.

Say, I have this directory on my hard disk:

C:\PERSONAL\

which contains the following files:

FILE1.DOC

FILE2.DOC

FILE3.DOC

Now, I used ImgBurn to make a copy of C:\PERSONAL\*.*.

But when I launch the program the next time, it doesn't see that my DVD already contains files: it required me to add files to the DVD, mentioning in the status bar that the disc needs erasing.

Besides, what I would like ImgBurn to do is be aware that C:\PERSONAL\ has changed (say, I erased FILE2.DOC and changed FILE1.DOC), so that when I launch the program, it looks into C:\PERSONAL\ and prepares to modify the DVD appropriately.

Maybe the problem is that I should have saved the first backup as a project, but I just can't find how it is done.

Sincere thanks in advance for any help.

--

fr.

Really? Yet I was told on one forum that ImgBurn did do just that, incremential backups. I suppose the zippers you mention do the same, but I don't think they will do this: backup one or several directories from the hard disc onto a DVD, then next time check if the directories have changed and update the backup if needed.

Thanks for answering anyway.

Haven't used 7-Zip much, but I know WinRAR can add new files and refresh existing ones to a compressed RAR archive, which also adds an extra layer of data verification through the use of CRC32. You can then burn the RAR archive to RW media with ImgBurn :)

Hello.

I think I wrote : "I am still looking for a good program, one that can erase a file from the DVD after noticing it was from the hard disk. -> 4. would anynone know of such a program?"

It seems you answered : "Imgburn will do what you are looking for and it's free"

I don't know of any program that can interpret what is on your HDD and then erase the corresponding file from your RW DVD. Sorry if I mislead you, I was merely suggesting Imgburn as a program that you could use to backup your directory.

I don't know of any program that can interpret what is on your HDD and then erase the corresponding file from your RW DVD.

Nero for one does just that: it compares both directories, the one on the HD and the copy on the DVD, then updates the DVD, both adding files that weren't there before and deleting files that are no longer on the HD. In fact it is so simple I believed all programs did that too!

Too bad I have a legit copy of Nero on my XP machine that won't run on the laptop with Vista.

Sorry if I mislead you, I was merely suggesting Imgburn as a program that you could use to backup your directory.

It's okay then, still you bothered to try to help. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.