Disc not empty

gish

so I just went out and got a new pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL and was trying to burn something when after my drive spent 5 minutes or so scanning the media(after Imgburn started) it gives me the Disc not empty!? I have tried this many time all with my drive taking longer than average time loading.

I did a search and found that other people have had the same problem? mostly because of bad media but I have tried the whole pack(5)

Then I tried loading an img that was only 4 gigs and everything went fine! (disc empty)

one thing though in the "IMP ID" section it is listed as sonic Scenarist 3.1, what ever that means?

I have a Sony DRU710A external drive. I also did a test on my drive and it got the green light.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Gish

Edited by gish

Make sure your Sony DRU-710A burner is using the latest BYX5 firmware and try again. The new pack you bought, are they still the 2.4x ones (MKM-001-00) or the new 8x ones (MKM-003-00)? Because if it's the latter I think your burner doesn't support them.

As for the Imp ID that's the Implementation Identification present in the disc image you've loaded in Write mode.

Make sure your Sony DRU-710A burner is using the latest BYX5 firmware and try again. The new pack you bought, are they still the 2.4x ones (MKM-001-00) or the new 8x ones (MKM-003-00)? Because if it's the latter I think your burner doesn't support them.

As for the Imp ID that's the Implementation Identification present in the disc image you've loaded in Write mode.

BTW thanks for you quick response!

Yes my sony has the new BYX5update!

as for the new or old verbatim I don't know because I did not find eather number on the box.

how would this explain being able to work with 4 gig files and not 7GB in size files.

when loading the smaller sized file it is quick but when loading the bigger image its like my DVD drive is in overdrive trying to just scan the disc.

Thanks

Loading an image file in Write mode, regardless if it's 4 or 7 GB, should be quick. The issue here is your drive taking a long time initialising the disc and then saying it isn't empty. With ImgBurn in Write mode (no need to load an image) and a blank Verbatim DVD+R DL disc in the drive, copy the text shown in the Information pane and paste it here for us to look at.

My guess is that you've bought the 8x rated Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks, which probably aren't compatible with your burner :(

I think your right, they are 8X and I believe I did use 2.4X before.

here you go:

SONY DVD RW DRU-710A BYX5 (USB)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Free Sectors: 2,147,287,041

Free Space: 4,397,643,859,968 bytes

Free Time: 477174:55:66 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x

DVD

Just went out and got the 2.4X speed and am getting the same problem:

SONY DVD RW DRU-710A BYX5 (USB)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Free Sectors: 2,147,287,041

Free Space: 4,397,643,859,968 bytes

Free Time: 477174:55:66 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

DVD

Edited by gish

Nope. It does seem your drive doesn't like blank dual-layer discs anymore. Can it at least the burnt ones? If I were you I'd replace the burner for a Pioneer 115 or maybe a Samsung S202 (burn at 4x on both of these burners as this produces a better quality burn than at 2.4x) :)

BTW...Thanks for all your help!!

This keeps getting better and better!

check out my LOG. I just got it to work but when it starts to burn...well see for yourself

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 03 September 2008, 16:47:37

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 16:06:26 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 16:06:26 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:06:26 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,536 KB - Available: 477,116 KB

W 16:06:26 Drive H:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 16:06:26 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:06:26 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:10:49 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD

W 16:19:26 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error

This typical of cheap media or a drive with one leg in the grave....could also be the cables are bad, you could check them out also making sure they are properly seated on both ends.

Looks like a new drive is in your future. :)

wow that sucks. but I have only had the drive a little over 3 years. I know its not the media because I'm using the specified media for this particular drive!

well..... anymore recommended drives to buy?

Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.