[Optiarc/Nec 7173A (p-ata)] Bitsetting doesn't work

Raven76

Hi to all! First of all, excuse my bad english... :P

I have this burner, a Nec/Optiarc 7173A, and I need to do bitsetting with dvd+rw discs (my Panasonic home-dvdreader doesn't recognize dvd+rw).

I've tried two different modified firmware (Liggy and Dee) 1.03 and 1.04 that allow to modify the booktype.... With new firmware I've set the new booktype in the flash-rom with imgburn... But when I try to write a dvd+rw the bootype still remain dvd+rw! Even if the program say "Booktype: DVD-ROM" in the log during writing!

I tried also Nero (I changed the option of Booktype, obsiously) but no changes... the program says "Setting Booktype: DVD-ROM", but my dvd+rw remains a dvd+rw!...

Strange thing: AFTER I burned the dvd, if I go in the Bitsetting page of imgburn it tells me that the DVD-ROM Type on DVD+RW is NOT active... werlll I re-activate it, but afetr a new burn it is NOT active again (and obviuolsy the booktype is'nt changed)

I tried also not to touch the settings in ImgBurn for the book type (I reset the settings) with the setting 'Automatically change book type' in the Write tab enabled. As always ImgBurn seems to applies the bit setting...... but at the and, the dvd is still dvd+rw!...

Any ideas?!

ps: I tried Nero and Imgburn with ASPI and STPI interface...

pps: I de-installed daemon-tools too!

thanx! ;)

Edited by Raven76

Where are you looking for the disc's booktype? In the Information pane the current booktype is under Physical Information (Last Recorded). It's also in the log at the start of the Verify process.

I used Nero Speedisc (DiscInfo tab), DVDInfo pro and Nero burning rom (media info button)... and all tells me that the dvd's booktype is dvd+rw... :(

Once you've told the drive to perform bitsetting on DVD+RW to DVD-ROM you'll need to do a full erase in ImgBurn.

Unlike with DVD+R, booktyping on DVD+RW doesn't appear to happen when you write to the disc normally, it does it when you complete a full erase.

I've already tried to make a full-format.... no changes! :(

Here is the log when I make a burn:

I 18:26:45 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 18:26:45 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 18:26:45 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.852 KB - Available: 1.370.072 KB

W 18:26:45 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:26:45 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:26:45 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:26:47 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD

Discovery mode wouldn't be any different to Write mode.

I assume that to erase the disc you did actually use Tools -> Drive -> Erase -> Full, yeah?

Does the drive still say 'DVD-ROM' when you look at the 2 bitsetting options for DVD+RW media in the bitsetting window?

Beyond that I really have no more ideas. Go and speak to the firmware hackers at cdfreaks and see what they have to say.

Same problem here. I've flashed "Liggy's AD-7173S Bitsetting Firmware 1.03" in my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173S.

Bit changing the booktype with ImgBurn it doesn't work on Philips DVD+R.

tab NEC

Current Setting for "Drive (For DVD+R media) says :

DVD-ROM (changes Available :498)

This setting is NOT active.

How can i make this setting Active ?

If it's not active for 'Drive (For DVD+R media)' then it means the 'Drive (For DVD+R media) - Temporary' one will be.

Changing the active setting is an option slightly lower down in the list.

In any case, that should all be taken care of by the program automatically, you don't need to do anything, it's covered by the 'Auto Change Booktype' option which is enabled by default.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.