I can't burn CDs slower than 16x or DVDs slower than 4x

Flight East

Hi!

I'm new here and find ImgBurn incredibly useful, but I'm having one difficulty (which may be nothing to do with the program anyway).

I'm trying to burn audio CDs from WAV and MP3 files, but I can't seem to burn slower than 16x no matter what I set the write speed to. I have the same problem with DVDs, which I can't burn slower than 4x. I've followed the 'burning a DL DVD' guide and set ImgBurn to write at 2.4x, as recommended, but it still burned the disc at 4x!

The discs play OK, but I'd particularly like to burn the audio CDs at a slower speed to ensure the sound quality - can anyone help?

My burners are TSSTcorp (Samsung) CDDVDW SH-203N SB01

I've been burning TDK 1-16x DVD-R, Verbatim 52x LightScribe CD-R and TDK 52x CD-R80 discs. ImgBurn shows the supported speeds as no slower than 16x for the CDs and no slower than 4x for the DVDs, but I'd like to burn slower if I can! :)

If that's all the drive supports then that's all it'll burn at... me telling it to burn at an 'unsupported' 1x or 2x won't do anything, it'll just burn at the closest 'supported' speed.

It all comes down to the drive/firmware/media combo.

Thanks for your mega-fast response! I'm surprised that the drives won't write slower, though - that's our high-speed modern world for you I suppose ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.