I/O Error

renshaw8

I just started messing with burning DVD's and using ImgBurn & DVDFlick and had about 80% success. Then I had about 4 failures in a row and a couple of days ago I installed SmartRipper and as soon as I opened it I got message that no ASPI layer was found so I did some research and downloaded that from Adaptec and installed it. My aspichk says that is OK. But now I've had about 5 bad burns in a row with the same error message. It was happening at around 9% completion and now it doesn't even get started. Can anyone tell me what this error message means and what I can do to fix it? I have XP and am using Sony DVD's and burn speed is 1x. Thanks

post-14592-1223754634_thumb.jpg

post-14592-1223753403_thumb.jpg

post-14592-1223756198_thumb.jpg

Edited by renshaw8

Try other burning speeds (look in the Information pane on the right-side of ImgBurn for the line Supported Write Speeds). If you're in Build mode this information is in the Device tab.

If it still doesn't work, get better quality media such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks, as laptop burners are picky about the media they like.

Thank you mmalves. I was having successful burns most of the time before I installed the ASPI layer. I don't understand why my log says "close request acknowleged" before even getting started. Do you think I should "check" WNASPI32 in my I/O settings instead of "SPTI" since I just installed that with my ASPI install?? It wouldn't help to go to a faster speed than 1 would it?

Edited by renshaw8

Changing to ASPI wouldn't help as that's not the problem. From what we can see, the drive is unable to write to the media you're using (hence it gives an error that ImgBurn shows to the user) and since the burn process relies on the burner/firmware/media combination, that's the things we can change to get better burns.

Laptop drives are known to be picky about the media they like, so that's why using high quality media is important. Also, the slowest burn speed may not give the best burn quality (in your case it doesn't even burn) so that's why we recommend trying other speeds.

this wont help with you problem using your current setup and dont know how what you are using for a laptop you are using but I have an 6yr old 1.2 P3 512mb ram Dell laptop that I using imgburn with default setting but in my setup I am using a USB 2.0 cardbus adapter as it dont support it natively with a 16x speed external USB 2.0 Liteon burner and the setup works great I made my own external drive but they sell external units you cold use. It works great for me! It might be a good alternative if if you dont want to burn at 1x which take a hr for full burn. new setup does them in 15 mins with verify

Thanks for the reply's guys..... mmalves, I"m impressed that you knew this is a laptop..... My burner is a Matshita dvd-ram uj-841s, Firmware is 1.60. I found firmware ver 1.11 but I guess thats an older version. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to clean the laser with a cleaning disk? Also do you think I should try a faster speed of 2.4x or 4x? I've read that a slower speed is better for a successful burn. I don't see why I was getting mostly successful burns and now about 6 coasters in a row. Thanks again for the help and your trouble.

A cleaning disc could help, as laptop burners' lenses are exposed every time the tray is pulled out. Even though you've selected 1x in ImgBurn and that command is sent to the burner, the burner's firmware determines which speed is used, which is usually the closest speed available to the one you've chosen. If we're talking about +R media the slowest speed is 2.4x, so try at 4x to see if works.

As for working before, brand names don't manufacture the discs themselves: they outsource to other companies and, as such, the dye used to manufacture the disc may be different from one batch to another. We recommend using only Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks because they manufacture their own discs and the quality is consistently high with them.

After some more reading I decided to try to look at my entrys in admin tools and I came up with this. Can someone tell me what "restart the snapin" means.

post-14592-1223772319_thumb.jpg

You could search Google to find out what that means but it won't help with your burning problem :(

mmalves, OK I'll try 4X. Yes, I've read everywhere that the Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden dvd's are the best. I don't have any yet. Even though I got the previous error message, I just tried to play a dvd and it played. Now I have to figure out whats up with that message before I try another burn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.