Another verification problem...

kutch

I've searched and done some things before posting, but I still can't seem to get my iso burns to verify.

-I use Verbatim dvd-r 16x made in taiwan.

-My Asus drive firmware is up to date.

-I've ran memtest for hours without problems.

Here is my last attempt:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 21 October 2008, 19:20:20

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 19:01:26 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:01:26 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 19:01:26 Total Physical Memory: 8,386,684 KB - Available: 6,934,276 KB

I 19:01:26 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:01:26 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:01:44 Found 1 DVD

I tried again burning at 4x, a different rom then the one above, and using incremental mode. I still got verification errors. Don't know if this matters, but the errors seem to be off by one byte when comparing. Here is the log:

I 23:15:59 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 23:15:59 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 23:15:59 Total Physical Memory: 8,386,684 KB - Available: 6,752,960 KB

I 23:16:00 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:16:00 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:16:00 Found 1 DVD

Set the Write Type back to DAO/SAO and try burning again, but this time at 8x or 12x.

Nope. Tried at 8x with DAO:

I 00:44:55 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 00:44:55 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 00:44:55 Total Physical Memory: 8,386,684 KB - Available: 6,879,772 KB

I 00:44:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:44:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:44:55 Found 1 DVD

How is the writer attached? Some motherboards have jMicron connections that are not good to use for writers (at least according to the ASUS motherboard manual).

The jumpers back on the writer(s) are configured right? (master/slave/cs)

How is the writer attached? Some motherboards have jMicron connections that are not good to use for writers (at least according to the ASUS motherboard manual).

The jumpers back on the writer(s) are configured right? (master/slave/cs)

I don't believe I'm using a jMicron connection. I have an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard and I just used an available SATA connection on it. I have the latest bios and upgraded the controllers from the asus website. Here is a screenshot of my device manager with some relevant items open:

9a6yhw.jpg

As far as the jumpers go, I have only one dvd drive and I never have changed my jumpers.

Edited by kutch

Please post your Filter Driver Load Order (it's in the Tools menu).

Are your processor/memory overclocked by any amount? How many passes of memtest86 have you let it do? I'm asking because those errors are consistent with memory problems.

By the way, in Device Manager, go to the View menu and select Devices by Connection (or the similar option since my Windows isn't in English :P ). That way it'll show to which controller your burner is connected to.

Please post your Filter Driver Load Order (it's in the Tools menu).

Are your processor/memory overclocked by any amount? How many passes of memtest86 have you let it do? I'm asking because those errors are consistent with memory problems.

By the way, in Device Manager, go to the View menu and select Devices by Connection (or the similar option since my Windows isn't in English :P ). That way it'll show to which controller your burner is connected to.

I am not overclocking and I have let memtest run for 10+ hours(maybe ~7 passes).

2cwo2rs.jpg

fz9htc.jpg

Getting some fast feedback here. I appreciate it.

You're 1 bit in the byte out every time... it sure looks like a memory issue to me.

Failing that, try a linux live cd with Wine installed and ImgBurn running under it.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Know of a good distribution with Wine I should try? Never tried this before. I burned Slax(verified ok...go figure), but it wouldn't boot.

Don't know if this is related, but I have files on an external usb hard drive that I am also trying to copy on an internal hard drive and some of them(not all of them) give me crc mis-compares when I compare them to each other after the copy. I've tried Teracopy, Vista's internal copy, and Robocopy AND I've also used different target drive destinations with the same files not copying correctly.

I ran memtest again last night for 8 hours and as of this morning still no errors. Maybe I'll take out half of my 8GB of RAM and try again using only 4GB.

Thanks again.

So I ran Prime95 and it failed within a minute. After increasing my CPU volts along with some other bios settings, I am able to run Prime95 for hours now. Also, imgBurn seems to work after a few tries. I think this may have been the problem. Memtest and Prime95 are great tools to really check your setup. Thanks guys. Hopefully, things are all set now.

Overclocking gone wrong then?

Wasn't even overclocking. I had everything on "auto" in my bios and never touched anything in there until this problem. Maybe my motherboard(P5Q Deluxe) default settings were no good for my CPU(Q9550). I don't think anyone would really notice since I never got blue screens and the discs that failed verification still "seemed" to be ok as the played normally. Thanks again.

Edit:

Well, I wish I would have found this earlier. Looks like the P5Q Deluxe bios doesn't work well with my CPU. Changing my "CPU Margin Enhancement" was what made things stable:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLangu...=1&count=55

Edited by kutch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.