Disc write fails every time :(

Big-Dave

Hi all

For some reason I am no longer able to burn onto DVD!

I ran out of the discs I was using and have different ones now but I don't know why that would make a difference. As far as I remember, no settings have changed with my PC that could have made a difference, though I am always fiddling with something so it is a possibility!!

I have no idea what is wrong, my writer is quite new and hasn't been used much so I find it hard to believe I need a new one already. I have teh write speed down to only x6 and don't think that has anything to do with it. I am using MCC tpye discs which I understand are good quality. I am flummoxed!

I would really appreciate any assistance, here is the log:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Saturday, 08 November 2008, 14:07:43

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 14:02:17 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 14:02:17 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 14:02:17 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 91,692 KB

I 14:02:17 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:02:17 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:02:17 Found 1 DVD

You have the latest released firmware for that writer, so it looks as your writer doesn't like that brand you bought. The media brand you are trying to burn with - are that genuine Verbatim discs? Have you tried with another write speed other than 6x?

You have the latest released firmware for that writer, so it looks as your writer doesn't like that brand you bought. The media brand you are trying to burn with - are that genuine Verbatim discs? Have you tried with another write speed other than 6x?

Thanks for the reply Cynthia.

Previously I was using the yellow datawrite discs and wrote many discs without any problem whatsoever.

They ran out, and I now have a spindle of discs which I actually I don't know what they are as I removed the label LOL. To look at they are just white (printable) no writing at all nor labelling. They were the ones the local shop recommended.

I have also got a spindle of 50 Tesco own DVD-Rs which my wife kindly picked up for me. Same result exactly.

I wasn't having any problems with the previous disc, but to my knowledge these discs should work ok and it is very frustrating that they don't!

I am about to try a lower speed write, but tbh I don't hold out much hope :(

I will post the new log.

Dave

I have tried again at x2.4, seems the same result to me. Coaster anyone?

Here is the log:

I 15:05:36 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:05:36 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:05:36 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 141,864 KB

I 15:05:37 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:05:37 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:05:47 Found 1 DVD

I 15:06:49 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x)

The speeds you see after the media code is the ones that the firmware (writer) supports for that media brand. So 2.4x uses a general writing strategy.

A long shot - is DMA enabled? Try to uninstall/delete the writer in Windows Device handler. There is an instruction here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...dpost&p=967

I doubt that 'streamlining' should have any impact on the burning results.

Cynthia,

Thanks again for the reply. Your help is much appreciated.

It may seem strange that I am burning a few tracks to DVD, but that is only to see if I can write ANYTHING to DVD successfully. It just happened to be the first type of file I found. To try and fail over and over with a larger type of file would take longer each time. I figured that when I sorted the problem and the disc wrote ok, it stood to reason I could then write anything I liked.

I thought back to when I last had a problem like this, and it was after a reformat of my hard drive. It literally took me months last time to work out what was wrong, before I found an IDE chipset update on the PC manufacturers website which I duly installed and it fixed the problem. So I thought (despite there not being a reformat/reinstall this time) I would try it again. So i did. And it worked :)

Problem solved, thanks for your ideas. I have posted back this result as maybe it could help you assist someone else in the future.

Thanks again, this site and it's members are fab :)

Dave

p.s. here is the log from the successful write in case it helps somehow:

I 15:46:16 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:46:16 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:46:16 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 179,380 KB

I 15:46:16 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:46:16 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:46:16 Found 1 DVD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.