burning .avi files, need basic primer

jbclem

Normally I've taken .avi files (movies, tv shows, soccer games) and using Nero or DeepBurner, I've burnt them to a data disk (DVD or CD). Then when I want to play one I just find the file using VLC and play it.

I've been trying to do this with ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 and haven't been able to get it to work (the WRITE choice is grayed out). I'm trying the device output rather than an image file output, and that may be the problem. I also realize I don't know the difference. Can someone help me with this, especially by explaining the difference in playing the .avi file on a data disk as compared to playing the .avi file when it's an image on a disk. There's something basic here that I don't understand and that may be why I'm having trouble getting ImgBurn to work.

What I tried was "Write Files/Folders to Disk", and I added 5 .avi files to the window. Auto calculate shows plenty of space of the DVD+R disk. And it's set to Device Output. But the WRITE choice (File menu) is grayed out, and so is the Folder to Disk icon. There must be a step I'm missing here (if this is even possible), but I don't know what it is and I can't find it in the guides.

Any suggestions?

John

If you have more than one burner on your computer, make sure the right one is selected in the Destination box. With a blank disc in the burner, what does ImgBurn say in the status bar (bottom of the window)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.