dotnetfx.exe

Grain

I hate that .NET framework crap, I try not to even install it on any of my computers :angry:

Last time I installed it maple syrup could run faster then my PC :'(

Avoid it by all means possible. :pirate:

That's all I needed to hear Kirk, stopped the dl, bastard was taking 2 hours on my 28.8 connection anyway. I'll try something else. What I have so far works, but isn't as good rez as the umd's. Mind you I only have a 1gb stick vs 1.8GB UMD, can't find a 2Gb stick around here. Thanks All!

That's all I needed to hear Kirk, stopped the dl, bastard was taking 2 hours on my 28.8 connection anyway. I'll try something else. What I have so far works, but isn't as good rez as the umd's. Mind you I only have a 1gb stick vs 1.8GB UMD, can't find a 2Gb stick around here. Thanks All!

I have a spare hard drive with XP on it Grain, nothing but the OS so if I have time tomorrow I'll install .NET and see exactly what it does, I remember it screwed up my system some way just don't remember exactly what it did.

I?m gonna have to agree with the crowd here. dotNET hasn?t affected the performance of my PCs to the degree that it?s noticable. It?s also pretty much a requirement these days for connecting to various devices such as your PSP. If you?re a Windows user, you?ll have to install it sooner or later as more and more gadgets and applications are built around it.

Well, maybe I'll take a week some time & download it, then give it a whirl. :swear: dial-up, that's the trade off for living in the country. I'll have to get a Sat. connection one of these days.

Grain, If you want I'll download it for you, won't take any time at all for me and then you can take it off my server if you want............ just a thought...... :/:)

Edited by kevdriver

I agree with Shamus too. The only slowness is when you first start up a program which uses the framework. Once it's started, though, it's as fast as the programmer intended. When there are no .net programs running, the framework just sits on your hard disk and shouldn't use any resources. It's also easy to uninstall if you want to - just go to add/remove programs.

Appreciate that Kev, but it would probably be no faster for me to get it off your server, the slow link being at my end. Thanks though.

But if you get it from kevs FTP you will be able to resume, so if you get disconnected you don't loose what you've already downloaded. :thumbup:

As for installing it, its like I said above, I don't remember exactly what happened which is why I was going to install it on my spare drive to see. Could have been a one time thing or a bad install, I just remember something happened and I contributed it to .NET framework so it has not gone back on my system.

ok I took a chance and installed it on my good drive, the spare drive don't have none of the other updates and would have took an extra 20 minutes. Anyhow the good news is I don't see a difference this time around :thumbup:

Do have a question for shamus, if you install 2.0 do you still need the older version 1.0 and 1.1?

ok I took a chance and installed it on my good drive, the spare drive don't have none of the other updates and would have took an extra 20 minutes. Anyhow the good news is I don't see a difference this time around :thumbup:

Do have a question for shamus, if you install 2.0 do you still need the older version 1.0 and 1.1?

2.0 should be able to handle 1.1 and 1.0-based applications as well afaik

Shouldn't really matter if you don't run a seriously out of date system though as .NET 1.0 and 1.1 is part of the different servicepacks released (and even integrated in Win2k3 base).

Look in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ (or whereever you have installed windows) and you should see what exakt versions you have installed (in the form of different folders)

And it really shouldn't affect performance in any way, it's only called if an application that uses it is run (and even then it's just a wrapper around the normal WinAPI with some added bonuses that really shouldn't affect the system)

I've noticed no depreciable performance with .NET installed. BUT, if I had a choice, I'd not install it. Thus far, no app I've tried that I kept required it, so, I don't have it running. But, eventually, it will be required just to install apps that don't need it because Microsoft wants it installed on all PC's. Makes keep an eye on what you buy, for targeted advertising, and don't buy, for themselves, the RIAA, and the MPAA, easier for them.

The thing with .net is that it's very nice to program with. So, especially with video encoders, newer versions are being written using it. Gordian Knot, for example, has ceased being developed. A program called StaxRip (also free) seems to be taking its place, along with one called MeGUI (again free). Both are written using .net - the former in VB.NET and the latter in C#.

It's just really a set of DLLs that live on your hard disk - there aren't zillions of registry entries. So it's not a program as such. It's just called when needed.

It's just really a set of DLLs that live on your hard disk - there aren't zillions of registry entries. So it's not a program as such. It's just called when needed.

Yeah, that was ALSO the promise of DLL's! :lol: Only called when needed. Yet, dozens of them exist in memory, even though not needed.

I?ve had a few problems installing v2.0 by itself. i.e. Not wanting to install at all (but that may have been a problem with w2k). Installing v2.0 over the top of v1.0/1.1 seems to work fine though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.