UDF 2.50/2.60 Mirrored Metadata Partition

derson

I see that ImgBurn supports all UDF versions currently released (currently 2.60), however I cannot find anywhere that ImgBurn can duplicate the file system information stored in the UDF 2.50 metadata partition. After spending many days researching DVD recovery methods, once of my biggest concerns is that a disc would be corrupt such that it becomes very difficult to read the disk contents. With file based parity tools like pararchive or flexraid, losing parts of a disc is less of a problem if you can at least recover most of the file system information to retrieve as many files as possible.

Using parity to protect disc images themselves is problematic as that requires the tools used to always produce exact ISO images after years of storage. DVDisaster attempts to overcome losing a file system problem by using disc sectors themselves to create parity within the disk at an expense of losing 20% of the available disc space.

My gut feeling is that using UDF 2.50 with a mirrored metadata partition to give a better shot at file system recovery and QuickPar for the data on a single disk + flexraid to protect against a complete disk loss would provide awesome recovery capabilities without having to convert all the disks back into ISO images before analyzing the parity. I am burning multi-disc sets that often have 15+ disks per set, ImgBurn appears to have the best capabilities already built in; including UDF 2.50 support ready to go.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.